1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

different bass..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fontaine, May 13, 2006.

1. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    i know this is a stupid question and all but i haven't been playing the bass for too long and i was juts wondering what is the difference between a jazz bass and a normal bass, if there is a difference!

please respond thank you.

2. Don't worry about stupid questions. Your not expected to know anything as a starting bassist, so ask whatever you want, even if it seems stupid, thats the only way to gain knowladge on the subject.

And "Jazz Bass" probably refers to the Fender Jazz Bass. This is just a production model name of a Fender bass. Just because it is called a Jazz Bass doesn't mean you have to play jazz on it, thats just the name it carries.

As far as what makes it different... Well, its not really an individual bass. The Fender Jazz Bass is probably the most copied deisgn of all time. So many companies have used the same design, its almost rediculus. The standard Jazz Basses have 4 strings, Single Coil pickups, an alder body, and passive circutry. They are good basses, especially for starters, as they are the most basic of designs. Look into Squire Jazz Basses, Fender MIM (Made In Mexico), and SX Jazz basses. Use the search engine on here to look up info on all of those.

Peace. And welcome to talk bass.

3. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    Thanks for the help!