Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Different Basses on Different amps/cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, May 25, 2001.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Howdy Guys and Gals,

Here is a new oberservation from captain bass-god. (me :) ) My different basses sound very different on my different amp doohickies...

Why is this significant? I am glad you asked! My violin bass (gibson copy hollow body with flatwounds and a single Carvin guitar bridge position humbucking PU in the neck position) sounds awesome on my Cyclops. My Rogue 305 ABG (with 1/2 wounds) sounds awesome on my old Radio Shack 100w tube amp through my Peavey 2x15 cab. My Peavey Milestone II (Fender P-Bass copy) and my Steiberger Spirit 5 bass sound good through either.

What does bad mean? to me, I can deal with different tones... but bad is when there is an obvious distortion. I prefer the bass to sound natural, some tone coloration acceptable, but certainly no distorion.

So how is it that my violin bass distorts on the radio shack amp, and not the Cyclops? Kinda weird. The ABG does not distort on either amp (unless I turn them way up of course) but the Radio Shack seems to color the tone a lot less.

Boy the other day after playing my ABG though the 2x15/radio shack I was about ready to sell the cyclops... good thing I noticed today about my other bass. The main difference that I can think of between these two basses is that the violin uses flatwounds and has a much more flat sound. (meaning to me, less highs more lows/mids)

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you think about it, this isn't all that mysterious. On the other hand, it's sufficiently complicated that I'm too tired to go into it now, so you're just gonna hafta think about it. Or get some tweaker to tell you.

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Umm... er... I know that the two basses have different woods... also different pickups. What mistifies me is that the violin bass distorts quickly on the 2x15 setup. But the ABG does not. The ABG is a 5 stringer, so I can play it lower... and it does not distort. Maybe I am missing something really fundamental here. But I am thinking that maybe I will just get rid of the violin bass now... I hardly play it anymore since I have been using the 5 stringers. Also, it is 3/4 sized so it feels so small compared against my other basses... maybe that is the best solution, then the rest doesn't matter. But just from a standpoint of curiosity... Why would the violin distort on one setup and not the other, when both setups demonstrate the ability to go low with other basses?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It could be that the amps are just reproducing whatever the bass is putting out. Maybe it's the pickups. Who knows?