1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Different bridge sizes, how to do?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by InstantEctobass, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Hi,

Ma Squier CV JB 60s is equipped with the native bridge, string spacing being 20mm (total screw spacing 74mm). I'd like to set a new bridge with 19mm string spacing, but the tightening screws are 70mm wide.

How would you proceed?
    Thanks
    Have a nice day!

2. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    You could plug the existing mounting holes with glued-in wooden dowels and redrill for the spacing on the new bridge.

3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    That screw spacing is so close to a regular Fender five hole mount that I can't measure the difference (and may be the same.) Find a five hole mount bridge you like and use it.
    This place has a pretty good selection of bridges. The link is for Fender bridges, but they carry Schaller, Hipshot, Wilkinson and others.
    Guitar Parts Factory - Fender Bass Bridges

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  4. I want to install that exact bridge but the total screw spacing is 70mm on that vintage bridge, not 74mm like the default one :(

5. ONE millimeter is making that much difference? If there's no replacement available, a machine shop could make new saddles out of that size round stock, tap the holes to that thread, and then you could cut new slots exactly as you like. One millimeter . . . . .

lz4005 likes this.
  6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    That is the bridge I used to measure the Fender five hole mount. I measured 70 mm.... Sorry, I had to go back and reread your OP. So, just buy the saddles and swap then out, Your plate intonation screw holes may need to be filed some to accommodate the slightly larger diameter screws.
    Top row, right column. Guitar Parts Factory - Bass Saddles

7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I'd bet my next paycheck OP couldn't tell the difference between 19 and 20mm spacing, blindfolded, on two basses he's never played before.

JRA likes this.
  8. You're right, but I'm not changing for the string spacing but for the type of bridge (mostly the look, I admit)

9. Thanks a lot!!

10. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    do as sissy kathy says or just elongate/slot the holes in the new bridge with a dremel or a round file. easier to do then drilling and plugging the body. if you ever had to sell it, then just put the original bridge back on.

11. I just need to get the right tools. I don't want to waste that bass, it's so good for the price I paid!

12. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    sounds like a plan