different cab connections?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Apr 4, 2004.

1. ok heres my question i have a avatar 2x10 and an avatar 2x12 and a bx3000t head 300watts. both cabs are 8 ohms. i can either take a speaker cable from the head to the first cab the 2x10 and then take another speakers cable and go from the head to the other cab the 2x12, or i can take a speaker cable go from the head to the 2x10 and then use another speaker cable and go from the 2x10 to the 2x12, what will the diffrence be in load and sound and other stuff?????
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    no difference either way in sound,watts,ohms or other stuff. It's all the same.
  3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The short answer is: it dosen't matter. If you are really interested, here are the differences I can think of in general:

1) If you use 1/4 inch plugs, it is better to run less power through them, so running both cables from the head would reduce the load on each plug. Probably not a problem with a 300W amp. Not a problem if you run speakons until you hit insane power levels.

2) The shorter the speaker cable, the less power loss. So running head to cab 1 and cab1 to cab2 (daisy chaining) could result in shorter cables in a stack configuration. Again, probably not a real consideration at low power.

3) If you daisy chain and the first cable fails, both cabs fail. If you run two cables from the head, if either cable fails the other still works. Speaker cables tend to fail less than instrument cables, so this really depends on how paranoid you are :)