Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Different Colored Ball Ends

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    This is a little odd. But i keep seeing basses in Bass Player reviews with different colored ball ends on the strings. Every time I notice a pic from the bridge end, it has the multi-colored ball ends. Who makes these? Are they any good, or just photogenic?

I used GHS pressurewounds as my main strings for, about a decade and never noticed this before.

What happened while I was a Pressurewound guy?

2. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    D'Addario uses different colored ballends as part of their "evironmentally friendly" packaging. The sets are all coiled together and wrapped in one sleeve rather than individual sleeves. The colored ballends identify the gauges.

Tom

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have used D'Adarrio Xl Lights for 6 months. Very good strings. I read in another thread that the Xl's are the same/similar to Slowwounds.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The Hartke strings also have colored ball ends and no silk on them.

Hmmmm....

5. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    i have a 5 string set of the brazilian company Giannini which has different colored ball ends .

it's a really nice set.

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I wouldn't have guessed that was a D'Addario thing. I played their strings waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when. Mostly for g**tar, some for bass. I think the last D'Addario products I bout were probably around 1982 or so.

So how are they now? Have they improved a lot? Enough to pick over my current choices of DR's for my fretted and Rotosoound flats for my fretless?

Or are they just being used in the pictures because the different colors look all cool?

7. I just recently switched over to D'addario's 1/2 round strings about a month ago, and I am nothing but happy with them. I had been using warwick black labels for a while now on my thumb 5 and on my music man 4 and was happy with them untill I tried the newer 1/2 rounds. The other bonus is that the low B is tapered! Yeah!!

By the way, they are color coded ends also. I think mostly a packaging gimmick, but comes in handy when on a gig and a quick string change is needed.(darker room, in a hurry, a frothy beverage or two later, it's easy to pick out what you need.)

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I like their sound, but I'm a nickel man myself don't know if you use stainless steel.

Fresh XL's have the perfect amount of zing for me, any brighter and I'd be looking for a new brand. The fresh zing lasts 2-3 weeks for me, but I never had a pair that turned to junk when they got old, the sound was always great considering the age of some of my strings. I bought some stainless brand before I believe Rotosound, those were so bright that I had to change them.

The balls help with identification. They are packaged in the cardboard then all the strings are in the same plastic wrap. For a noob/somebody in a hurry it probably helps for quicker string changes.

9. I use D'Addario Chrome Flats and they also use color coded ball ends. I really like the DA Chromes but also use Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats (not color coded). Currently, I have a set of DA's on my fretless and a set of TI's on my BTB405 fretted. I'm satisfied with each.

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    DR Lo-Riders have colored ball ends, as seen HERE :D

[​IMG]

You gotta look kinda close, but you can see 'em :)

11. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    huh- what were we looking at? to distracted by that beautiful roscoe... :bassist:

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    bwahaha.

as am I.

grades? school? huh??! :D