1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Different colored hardware not the standard black,chrome or gold

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LCW, Sep 28, 2009.

1. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I have lately been interested in unique colored hardware but besides black , chrome or gold i dont see any . I remember aerodynes have smoked chrome but thats about all i have seen. I mean if you can paint it black its just as easy to paint it lime green right? or red blue orange etc.

Lime green hardware on a white P with a maple neck yum.

This is what got me thinking , i am not liking the purple guard the rest is great,http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Squire-P...itar?hash=item439a710a15&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

2. not sure how i feel about that,but to each their own

3. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    I'm not sure how this works out in terms of durability, since making paint adhere to metal is not as easy as it looks.

Plus, when you mention that it's as easy to paint one color than another, indeed it may be, if you have the right equipment.

4. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    There is some process that's name escapes me, but is used to cover metal in a protective coating, which can be colored.
    It's common, I just can't hink of the name. A current is run through the metal piece and then the stuff is sprayed onto it, being attracted.

They make kits for it, but the name escapes me.

5. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    You mean powder coating? my friend does that

6. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    that is anodized metal you see there (transparent finish) or you can go the way of powdercoating (opaque finish) most chrome shops could do both for ya

7. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Yea, was just about to edit that in. I felt really dumb not being able to remember. :bawl:

8. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I found this hardware made by bling , it looks cheap and not durable. I just think if hipshot and other companys can powder coat bridges black then they can do it in other colors. I get this inspiration because i BMX'ed and all aftermarket parts could be had in black but they had tons of colors and my bike was very colorful.I just see chrome , black and gold boring .

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Als-Music-Source__W0QQ_sidZ138752747?_nkw=bling

9. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Ah no worries i forgot my friend even did that he use to coat my BMX frames for me, very durable i threw them around and wrecked everyday and they barely scratched

10. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    powdercoat in brighter colors looks cheap and crappy..it makes metal look like plastic..thats why color processes usually go with anodizing or elector plating.. plus powder coating in lighter colors you have to make a heavier thicker finish to make the color uniform and it makes for heavy parts and any grooves and spaces get filled in ...poor results..black it the exception because a thin coat will appear to cover evenly

11. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
  12. I've always thought that there should be colored hardware.

13. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!

i actually would be fine if people thought it was plastic i planned on pink hardware,on a white body with pink polka dots, just because i know most people will hate it :) I would have to talk my friend into doing it tho that maybe a hard one, maybe promise my first born.

14. Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Aug 25, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    On aluminum it is anodize. On most carbon-based metals use an oxide process. Powder coating is a baked-on paint.

15. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Just don't powdercoat the threads.

Here is another site, and he doesn't try t sell you anything.

16. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Wow thats sweet thanks for the link;)

17. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    No problem, I was interested in this too, but your thread gave me some initiative.

These people sell DIY type kits and supplies.

18. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Wow that kit is cheap i think i may look into those. Practice on some crap parts i have, i just feel like doing something somewhat different

19. True, it can be difficult. You have to really mask the parts carefully, covering or plugging small holes, and covering all threaded areas, or they will fill in and be useless. But done right it is a really good finish.

20. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    The problem is that not everyone wants them- there simply isn't enough demand for other colours. Black, chrome and gold are the "classics"- everyone wants them, so there's no shortage of market, so the big companies will do them.

An example- satin used to be a hardware colour choice for big company drum parts. They don't do it anymore. That's because not enough people were buying them, so they cut the losses and phased it out.