Different DR Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Papersen, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I´ve tried many different strings during several years and DR are among my favourites (depends on the bass I´m playing).

I´ve generally used Lo Riders or Hi Beams and although I like them, they feel a bit tight regarding tensión (mainly Hi Beams).

Yesterday I tried Fat Beams for the first time.
    I´ve always considered gauge and material but didn´t know much about "roundcore" vs "hexcore".
    Read somewhere that Hexcore and more flexible and they certainly do.

They retain the tone I like from DR, but at the same time demand less plucking hand attack.
    Anyone else felt this ?

eriky4003 likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Hexcore are stiffer than roundcore.

3. Hi-Beams, Sunbeams and Fatbeams are all round core and more flexible/supple than the Lo-Riders (hex core).

I generally prefer hex-core strings for the amount of resistance they offer for plucking.

4. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Yep, that's a big part of why I'm a solid Sunbeams convert.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    HiBeams and FatBeams are the same string, Fats are just wound slower.

A little tip...any DR with 'Beam' in the name is round core.

6. Slapndbayass

Slapndbayass

Nov 9, 2016
    I've started to use the Lo Riders on a 5 string with a 130 B string. Takes a little getting used to being that it's stainless wound instead of nickel. I imagine over time the coarseness of the SS wrap will smooth out some. But the stiffness is the reason I chose this type of string. A hexcore is stiffer than a round core just because of the geometric shape of the core with 6 sides. You can adjust your pluck to allow the string to return quicker. Great for recording imo.

Acoustic-Guitar-Strings.jpg

7. Can you elaborate on this?

8. Slapndbayass

Slapndbayass

Nov 9, 2016
    If you record long enough and pay attention to the tracks you lay down, you will find that the technique one uses to pluck the strings needs a very precise plucking approach to create the note, its duration and then get ready for the next set of notes played in the same fashion. Which means you have to reduce your finger movements to start and stop the note without over vibrating the string, allowing the string to achieve its maximum vibration with the best tone without killing the sound. Each pluck should be the same attack and just enough to control the string from getting out of control.

The stiffer strings help with this as the string doesn't flab around when plucking and returns to a steadier state quicker than a looser string. This means the string is helping rather than being unwieldy flapping in a vibration state, but going to rest sooner.

Also my experience with using the DR's is that the sound of the string sounds even with a presentable tone. It may be DR's winding technique of winding strings when the string is under tension that makes for a more controllable string. Of course bass tracks are often compressed and gated so take that into consideration as that will tighten up the sound of the track by limiting the vibration length of the string and notes. So if you know how things will end up in the mix you can gauge through experience how a guitar/string will react on a recording. But the acid test is to actually prove the theory and hear it during playback up against other tracks on a piece of music. Something all learned by doing. The more you record, the better you will get playing an instrument, singing etc. just from hearing your work during playback.

Some bassists have such fine control of their strings that slight compression to none is possible. Not everyone can or does play like that but it is something to strive for being a player of strings wherein the player is in control of the vibrating source.

A good technique to train your fingers is to hold the bass horn up to your ear to get a bead on how your plucking is controlling the string or not. Bear down on fine tuning your movements until you exert just the right amount of force to where you're not over vibrating the string starting and stopping the notes with just enough time to make the note and get ready for the next. Muting with the left hand (in the case of right handed players) on the fret board is also helpful with your plucking. Coordinate both hands.

I think you know this anyway.

string-break.jpg

Did I answer your question?

9. More than that. Thanks for taking the time.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021