Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Different Envalope Filters

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SnakeAnthony, Mar 1, 2006.

1. So I've been looking around for different Envalope filters, and I've found two different Electro Harmonix filters, the Bass Balls and the mini Q-Tron filter. Both are in reasonable price range for me, and I was wondering if there's any huge difference in sound? Which has more tonal variation possibilities? The tone I want is basicly the same tone Mike Gordon from Phish gets out of his EF effect lines. Which one would work best for me?

2. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Mike uses a Lovetone Meatball as his envelope filter. It's the mother of all envelope filters but goes for about $500 these days. Before that he used a Dr. Q, although it may have been moded because he got a lot of low end out of his Dr. Q and I don't think they are particularly friendly to low frequencies.

That said, out of the ones that you mentioned, the Mini-Qtron is going to get closest. The BassBalls is a combination of an envelope filter and some other crazy ****. While it is cool pedal, it's not exactly what Mike had going on.

If you're talking about Mike's sounds on stuff like Boogie On Reggae Woman (post-hiatus), that's his Akai Deep Impact, not an envelope filter.

I'd also recommend checking out the regular Qtron and Qtron+, as well as the MoogerFooger. They're more expensive, but well worth it asaic.

Hope this helps.

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Also check out the EBS BassIQ while you're at it. Some nice, organic tones can be produced with it.

4. Just so you know when recomending other pedals, I'm looking at around 150 max for a good pedal, and the Meatball (which I do GAS for very much so) definatly dosent fall into that range, nore to EBS products which all go for around 300$ How much are the standard Q-Trons?

5. Think along the lines of Down With Disease to hear the sound I'm after. My band frequently covers that song, as well as many other Phish tunes, plus I think the Filter would add some varitey into the bass of our originals.

6. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Chuck Norris counted to infinity twice!!! haha funny stuff man, anyways try the EMMA Discumbobulator it gets all the funky chunks that you ever could want in an envelope IMO

7. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Ah yes...the elusive DWD tone that Mike opens the tune with. Well, from what I've read, it's a combination of flange (which you can usually hear swishing back and forth before he hits the opening "A"), an evnelope filter, and a bunch of other **** that he threw in there at some point. He gets those tones out of a super-expensive, rack-mounted ADA preamp with a zillion built in programmable and modifiable effects. I agree with you that the sound at the begining of Disease is sick beyond words, but it'll cost ya a pretty penny.
    Most any envelop filter will get you part of the way. I'd recommend the Qtron as I think it's the most lush sounding envelope filter for the price, but I'm not sure it's in your price range. The mini-Qtron is well inside your price range though and I think you might find it does what you need. The Bassballs, while cool, doesn't really do the trick. The Dr. Q is also in that price range as well and Mike has definitely used it in the past (think funk jams in YEM pre-1997)

8. Yes, You Enjoy Myself is another good example of where I wanna go with my Envalope Sound, at least on the live jams. I also saw them live in 2004, on the last tour, in Deer Creek, IN where he used an envalope filter on quite a few jams. They played a Bathtub Gin jam that went on for close to 20-30 minutes that was awsome, where he turned on the filter for part of the jam. It sounded awsome.

Anybody have any idea on price range for Dr. Q's or standard Qtons?

9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    what everyone else has said.

He's used the old Dr. Q, BF-2 Flanger, Meatball, Boss Synth (gross) Deep Impact...a cheaper alternative you might want to try which he also used is the NYC Bassballs - you can hear this in some older Tweezer and Ghost jams (think '97).

I believe DWD is/was flange/envelope/distortion and some EQing all at once (aside from getting an ADA which has all those presets).

10. I definatly think that the exact DWD tone is a bit out of my league for now. I just want my nudge in the door with a good Envalope Filter, as I have said.

11. Ok, I looked them up. I see now that the standard Qtron is out. Its 150, and thats not counting the shipping I'd pay plus the power adapter, because I hate having to change batteries. I see the Dr. Q is well within my range, as I saw it for only 60 bucks, but I noticed it had only one knob. That gets me worried about its tonal variation possibilities. I still look at the Mini-Qtron, which is in my range, with what appeares to be more than enough variation in tone, with 3 different settings and two adjustibale knobs. Do you guys think that is the way I should go?

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I actually just got back from my local music shop and did a whole envelope shootout with every one they had in stock. Over all it was about 8-9 of them. I think I will be picking up the Mini Q-tron as I thought that had the best sound for the $. It definetly had a great funky envelope sound. The pedal seems well built, and I found it to have little to no change in volume or low end when dialed in correctly. I think it is a great overall choice.

13. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    ADA preamps are expensive? i didn't think they were bad at all

14. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    +1 on the Emma DiscumBOBulator.