1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Different Fingers, Different Tones?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SalmonCubes, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Hi. I've been playing bass for about 8 months now, and there is something has been bugging me for a while now.
    I mostly play fingerstyle with two fingers, but I'm noticing that my index and middle finger each have different sounds when plucking.

My index finger has a sharp, high-treble, almost pick-like sound when I brush over a string, but my middle finger sounds normal as it should. The difference is much more prominent when I play lighter, but digging down so much that it stops sounding different is way beyond playable. That would be like attempting to play slap bass with my finger tips.

Any tips on what to do?

2. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Embrace it that is part of what makes you sound and feel like the players you are.
    It is a complete none issue so do not worry about it and get on with learning to play......it will even out of sorts as you develop your playing but it really is a none issue.:)

3. Your index is just weaker. Playing 8 months you just havent had enough time to even out. Your index will catch up. Your middle is naturally stronget. Keep at it. Youre doing fine. Dont worry.

4. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006

I wont say its a non issue as it is important to have complete control over your playing dynamics.

its the same old start slow. rinse and repeat

5. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Try different attack angles, and different points of attack between the bridge and neck. There's a wealth of tones to be found. You might find something better suited to how you want to sound.

6. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Trust me it is an non issue, a dead end, a waste of time...I develops within playing, not outside it.....so it is as much as an non issue as choosing which foot should be in front of the other when walking.:)

7. Are your fingernails the same length? Maybe you've got more callous on one finger versus the other?

Just a thought.

8. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

Oct 2, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Are you playing solo, or with a group? Playing with more people will drown out a lot of the little things in your playing.

I think that most people have the same thing. You should give it some time. That, or practice with a metronome and use different fingers to accent different counts. That will help build up strength. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

My ring finger is really weak, as far as sounding consistent with the other two, but in time it will catch up.

9. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    I noticed the exact same thing with me, but I can only notice it when I'm playing alone and I'm listening for sound differences. If not, I can't notice a thing. Especially if I'm with the band.