Different finishes for body and neck on a nt or setneck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Phil Mastro, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Hi yall,

I'm planning on building a setneck, and I'd like different finishes for the neck and body. I was thinking of nitro for the body to bring out the figure in my top, but leave the neck either untreated or just oil it to keep it smooth and fast. My problem though, is how to get a decent transition between the 2. If I lacquer the body and tape the neck, I'll get this really cut and dry boundary between the 2 finishes, which doesn't satisfy my ambitious desire for "perfection". And if I "lightly" laquer the end of the neck and sand it, the sanding makes it whitish, and real ugly. And if I oil the neck too close to the lacquer, will it make the finish peel or something? Any ideas?

2. I don't think it will but what I would do is "feather" the edge of the lacquer nearest the oil area so that the two can sort of intermingle over and through each other in the transition area. Finish sand both areas ready for the coatings and do the lacquer first. Then wipe in the oil. You don't have to do too much over lap, just enough to get the color even. Then each finish should take care of it's own area.