1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Different fretboards, same model?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CTC564, Dec 20, 2011.

1. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    Just wondered if anyone ever purposely bought two of the same type of bass but with different fretboards...

Which do you prefer and do you think the fretboard was the determining factor?

2. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Yes,

IMGP2272.

I am of the opinion that every tone has an application where it works, so I don't have an absolute preference. And yes, the maple boarded ones were brighter.

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Do they all sound blue?

;)

4. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    Wow!!!!

And...no maple P-bass with flats???? ;-)

I know that many feel that maple is brighter and I figured that my question wouldn't have too many answers of players that owned both fretboards on the same model

Just curious, other than the obvious, what exactly are the differences between YOUR collection?

Flats?
    Rounds?
    Different p'ups?

5. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    I pretty much like Rosewood all around for fretted. Ebony can be nice, but really only like it on fretless. No specific opinion about maple, but prefer the tone of rosewood. While some will claim there is no real difference when you're in the mix, I don't practice in the mix. I practice by myself. As for fretless, the difference between rosewood and ebony is epic. Ebony is refined and sweet; rosewood is gnarly and kind of punky (Not a misspelling of punchy).

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have quite a few of the same basses but with different fingerboards (some rosewood, some maple). i like 'em both a lot, but slightly prefer maple ones.

some of my p basses:

blondepbass-01.

73pbass-1-w.

black-white-pbass-01.

62pbass-3-w.

some of my jazz basses:

blkmaplejbass-01.

72Jazzbass-2-w.

my jaguar basses:

blackjags-1.

my 'jazzmaster' basses:

2-jazzmasterbasses-01.

for me, the maples just feel a little better and have a more resonant transparent tone to them.

7. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    i was limited by what Rondo had. The fretlesses (the ones without inlays) all have flats. All of them are shielded and have a series parallel switch (yes, even the fretless P), except the fretted P, but it has a Jazz neck. And the maple board Js have Alnico pups at the neck.