Different Gauge Strings + Intonation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Arch Giddle, Jan 24, 2002.

1. I haven't changed my strings yet, but as its been 6 months I've decided to get some new ones. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what impact getting different string gauges has on how i need to set my intonation up. I assume that to get thinner strings to make low notes then I need to make the scale length a bit longer at the bridge. Is this a load of cobblers?

I ask because the saddles on my bridge are about as far forward as they can go (and the intonations not perfect because of this), so would be be a good idea to get some heavier strings?

Oh, and my bass is a medium scale 32"
  2. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    nut slots may be too deep with thinner strings --
    it is a fundamental thing that I wonder if some tend to overlook (?)

the superglue filling up of nut slots really works, but definitely remove the nut first !!

some will say right off you may as well change the nut -- I'll agree sorta, but add that
    with the superglue reshaping of the slots you can experiment with how deep to make them
    at least a couple times if you want, then get the new nut and file to that best depth.