1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Different gauges for different basses?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BklynKen, Mar 17, 2013.

1. I've been playing a Carvin for years with 45-65-80-100 or 40-60-80-100 on them and like that gauge. I tried going up to a heavier gauge (.105 E) and ended up not feeling comfortable and going back to the .100. I just got a Thunderbird with I believe 45-65-85-105. It feels fine, but then again the Thunderbird feels different in almost every way than the Carvin. I am not sure if I should leave these factory strings on and see how they work for me, or just put on my regular gauge before I take it to band practice and play it safe.

Do those with more than one bass use the same gauge on all of them or vary depending on the bass?

Thanks.

2. volerium

volerium

May 21, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    I had a mindset that I wanted to find the perfect setting that was like 'my setting'. With the strings, set up, all around feel and tone. And after owning five different basses now I feel like that's just not realistic. Each bass I've had has felt and sounded different in so many ways. Initially I was putting the same strings on all of em in that pursuit of 'my setting'. Now I don't even use the same brand, gauge or tuning. Each ones different and fits me in a specific way. I have my favorites but they all do different things for me.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Do whatever you think is best. I like the same gauges on all my basses but it's all good.

4. Thanks. That makes a lot of sense, and what I was expecting to experience. I guess when I finally get to use it with the band, that will be the most telling. The Thunderbird is so big in every way (actually, the body itself isn't as big as I expected) that I should give the slightly heavier gauge strings a chance.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Same gauage for diff basses. The thunderbird is going to feel diff for several reasons, they are generally awkward feeling basses playing wise to me. Diff string brands of same gauges can have diff tension and thus cause further felt difference between your carvin and thunderbird basses.