Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Different gauges

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Plucky, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    hello! i have thought about this for a little while and i pretty much think its an important question: what if you put a 50-g, a 70-d, a 95-a and a 100-e string? i mean, can you do that without changing the "regular" sound on your bass? its correct to do that or its just messing up with something you shouldnt to?

i want a "fatter" sound from my lighter strings and in the next future i'd think about doing this.....

thanks

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I don't see why not. You basically want a thicker "A" than comes in a set, right? 50-100 is normal for some of us, I use 45-100 (45, 65, 80, 100).

I think I followed the question right:confused:

3. I use the same as stubi there, 45-100. I think they make .95 E's though, not sure. But if so you would have some trouble finding that.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, you mean .095 E?

I've been using a .035-.095 4-string set for years. Tried lots of different gauges, but this is what I always go back to.

European makers tend to offer lighter gauges than US brands, e.g. Pyramid's Pyrasound, Rotosound, etc.

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    If you haven't already, check out GHS's website to see what they have available. I find that they have alot of options.

Now for the disclamer. No, I do not work for nor am I endorsed by GHS. I just really like they're stuff.

6. Rotosound Steve Harris Custom Flatwounds(SH77) are 50-75-95-110. Maybe you'd like to check'em.

See you!