Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Different input, different sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gomez, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    Hey everybody,

I had a new input installed in my bass today because the other one crackled like a sob. Probably happened when I threw my bass on my bed when I had to race for the telephone and the input hit the wall and it got pushed in a little (walnut body).

I get home and plug it into my rig and now it sounds kinda different. Sounds like it lost a little bottom clearness.

Could this be or am I being a baby?

Gomez

2. Electronics, all the way through your instrument, have an effect on the sound of your bass.

This is surprising though, I'm guessing your talking about the jack, which shouldn't change your sound.

Check that it has been soldered correctly, check the shielding in your control cavity etc...

Good luck

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    If the shielding was wrong he would just get hum, and yeah the jack has nothing to do with the tone.

check the wiring (specialy if it is an active bass thing you should have mentioned), look for the schemes of your bass.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, a new jack in theory should have nothing to do with the tone, minus some crackling and popping. I think you're nuts ;)

5. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    Thanks everybody.

Guess I'm a baby.....

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    tell us more about your bass so we can help you ;) .