1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Different jazz basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afinalfantasy, Mar 17, 2008.

1. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    After buying my Squier VM Jazz, I'm realized this is the tone I'm after and the style. What would be a good next jazz bass to get? I'm thinking about getting a MIM then eventually a MIA.

I don't want to limit myself just to Fenders, since I'd like to have some diversity. How are the Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones and Joe Osborn signature models? I'm not one for signature models but those ones look and sound pretty nice to me. Any suggestions would be great.

2. After playing wuite a few... I'd go with a Lakland before a Fender.

I have nothing against Fender as I own one... but Lakland are frekkin superior basses!

3. lakland > fender IMO

4. Buy a Dingwall SJ. :bag:

5. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I would like to say go for a Lakland , they are really nice basses, I have a Darryl Jones that I just love

6. deBont Amps

deBont Amps Commercial User

Apr 10, 2007
    Netherlands
    deBont Amps
    I own a Lakland Joe Osborn Skyline 4 string. It is a beautifull bass. My finish is flawless. The sound is great. The playabillity is the best I had so far and finally, the service of Lakland is fantastic. I had a problem with a new neck I ordered. They send a new one over without any discussion or aditional costs.

Before my Lakland, I owned a Fender MIA Deluxe. I never had any regrets doing the swap.

7. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    How are the prices for the basses? I'm not looking for like super expensive stuff, just really nice basses for a good price.

8. deBont Amps

deBont Amps Commercial User

Apr 10, 2007
    Netherlands
    deBont Amps
    The Joe Osborn Skyline is priced at $1499,- on the lakland site. I don't know what discount you will get at your local store offcourse.
    But personally, I would skip the MIM fase, forget the Fender MIA and go for a Lakland. Second hand perhaps??

9. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    i bought my lakland used in very good condition, just ike new, and I paid $800, look at the classified section , you will find good deals

10. Doughd54

Doughd54 I wanna rock. rock.

Nov 30, 2006
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    How do the Skylines hold up against the new 08' american standard basses?

11. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    Based on my personal experience with trying out many of the recent (2001-2007) MIA models before deciding on a purchase, I think two of the very best Fender Jazz basses currently being made that give the flexibility of having an on-board pre-amp are the Custom Classic and the Victor Bailey models. They can give you that straight up vintage-style Jazz Bass toe or be eq'd through the pre-amp for a huge range of other, more modern sounding tones...

12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Blade basses are now available in Canada. Their necks are 1.5 inches wide yet thinner than a Geddy Lee. They have a a active and a passive model. Very nice basses.