different kind of 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whatsaMcGee, Mar 9, 2003.

1. i was thinking today about a 5 string that instead of adding a low string would add a high string. any other thoughts?
  2. Do a search for "EADGC"--there have been a bazillion threads about this.

The first five-string basses, built in the '70s, were strung EADGC. Pop-jazz bassist Jimmy Johnson is usually credited with inventing the modern BEADG 5 when he put a GHS .120 roundwound (marketed as a really fat E) on in the E slot, tuned it to B, and put on a normal EADG set in the other nut slots.

Famous EADGC players include Tony Levin, Bunny Brunel, and the godly Steve Swallow. Eberhard Weber's first electric upright, which he used on a lot of great ECM recordings in the '70s, was also an EADGC fiver.
  3. well i guess thatll do it for this thread...but where would i buy one?
  4. At a guitar store... :eek:
  5. i havent seen any EADGC at either of the two stores i go to
  6. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    The more common 5-string setup is BEADG, but be persistant and you can find one setup with EADGC.

Or you can always have one ordered or custom built.
  7. You don't even have to have one built--you just need to change the nut and buy an EADGC set, or a 6-string set and drop the B. A lot of less-expensive fives with poor Bs might sound really good as EADGC basses.

BTW, I have a friend with an EADGC Fodera Emperor 5. It's gorgeous, although he's got such thin strings on it and low action that it sounds like total crap.
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my first 5 was tuned E-A-D-G-B because I was looking to fill out my chords and didn't want to unlearn 8 years of guitar... high B just made more sense at the time.

hmmmm... maybe it's time for a 6 string
  9. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah I would like to have the High C for a lot of stuff I do. I kinda want to try out the brice basses. If tehy don't get a fretless 6 in amber or black with the new shipment, then I'm gonan get a fretless 5 and have teh nut changed to accomadate the C. I rarely need teh low B and high C in the same song, so having a 5 tuned both ways would be rather useful.