1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Different kind of effects chain question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Brattbugg, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Brattbugg

Brattbugg Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    Im running a few effects that aren't necessarily standard, IMO, and was wondering where an MXR envelope pedal would fit in the best. I am currently going tuner> multicomp>boss chorus > micro pog> Aguilar tone hammer pedal. The multi comp is always on, as is the tone hammer. I dont use distortion, but just a little gain to warm up the tone. It's still a pretty clean signal. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I’d probably try it right after the tuner, so that it sees the entire dynamic range of your bass.

mattbass6945 likes this.
  3. I'd experiment putting it before and after the compressor to see what that does.

4. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

An envelope pedal after a compressor(or limiter, for that matter)is counter-productive. Either levels out the dynamic range of your instrument, and that variance of quiet to loud is what makes an envelope work.

Basstards likes this.
  5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What's not standard about those pedals?

6. Brattbugg

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    I was just referring to the fact that its not a couple distortion boxes and such. I realize its not exotic . The pog kinda throws me off on how to chain stuff.

Dave W likes this.
  7. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Are you using the Tone Hammer as a DI?

I'd have the POG towards the front, either in front of or right behind the compressor. That way it gets a nice strong signal.

I'd have the chorus last. Behind the Tone Hammer unless you're using the TH as a DI...

8. Brattbugg

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    No, I'm not using it as a DI

9. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Dirt, general tone shaper, or both?

10. Brattbugg

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    Tone shaping mostly, very little dirt

11. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    If I had those pedals, I'd go:

Tuner - POG - comp - chorus - Tone Hammer

12. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Tuner > POG > Filter > TH > Chorus

I would take the comp out, or run it before the filter. Before the filter gives you some options with the filter that everyone says are counter intuitive, which I disagree with. When you use a comp to limit your volume range, you effectively do the same for your filter response, meaning you can get some very predictable and repeatable sounds, especially when you are using the filter to highlight certain frequencies only. When you use the filter, you can always bypass the comp as well :thumbsup:.