Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Different Looper Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I haven't been doing the looper thing, but I am beginning to want to do some solo stuff at coffee houses or Poen mic nights. My questions:

1. In a live setting, I'd like to lay down a few tracks, one on top of another and continue to keep that going as a "bank". Then on top of that play 2-4 more additions in its own bank. Then I want to cut out the second bank, but keep the first one with the first few tracks going. Can this be done? And if so, which looping units would be neccessary? Boss RC20 XL? With or without the extension pedals? Digitech Jamman? Boomerang? or do I need the Gibson Echoplex Pro Plus?

2. I was leaning towards the Boss RC20 XL. Can I loop this with a drum machine or do I have to record the drum machine into the looper (and then turn the drum machine off) so that the drums continue to stay in time with the looper?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

2. the boomerang, EDP and RC20XL all have an "undo" last overdub, if that helps

2. yes...you can do both

3. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Yes that does help. but to follow up that question #1. If I go to stop the loops that I want in the middle of the cycle, will they cut out as a group at the end of the cycle or will they cut out as I stop each one of them in the middle of the cycle?

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Uhh... I don't think that's the case - with the RC20, anyway - if there's no MIDI sync data going between them, you couldn't leave the drums coming from the drum machine, while looping on the looper; they'd cycle-apart - it'd be very bad for groove. I'm pretty-sure you'd have to record the drum part onto the RC' for them to stay synched.

I s'pose I'll find out for-sure, soon enough... As you know, superbassman: I'm just getting into solo looping myself, and have decided to go with the Boss product.

I spent this morning from when I awoke, til I left for the day, listening to Steve Lawson clips from his web site (www.stevelawson.net/solomusic.shtml). Whew!.. Beautiful stuff!

Joe

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    If you play the drums into the looper you just need to sync up the loop to itself instead of messing around with midi or playing along with a standalone drum machine.

Hope this helps

6. true joe, there is no midi...but you don't really need midi...on the RC-20 (and XL i suppose) there is an instrument input and a mic input. you could throw the bass in the instrument input and the DM into the mic...he never said anything about anything syncing ;)

you'd have to have good timing...you can record the DM into the RC20, or you could have a DM running and also looping your bass, but you would need good timing...you can still do it though.

as for your followup question, it depends on what button you hit...on the RC20XL, if you hit "undo," the last overdub you hit will undo...if you just hit stop, the whole thing will stop. the only looper that i am aware of that you can select groups of loops to stop is the repeater, which records on four separate tracks, and you can turn off certain loops...i don't have a lot of knowledge on it, but thats as much as i know...

7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I don't believe that any stand-alone looper does this. Undo-ing previous layers while leaving later ones intact? Not from one box. That is where something like Ableton Live would be useful. Just keep creating new tracks and then turn off what you want when you want.

If you mean loop to a drum machine in parallel, yes, but if your timing is at all off then the loops will unsync from the drum machine. You can run the loops through as part of your signal chain.

I actually use two loopers side by side: RC-20 and DD-20. The DD-20 has a sound on sound mode. I keep that as the manual setting (The DD has one manual setting and 5 presets). Again, any timing differences create a sync problem between the two.

The EDP allows MIDI Sync, and the Repeater does too but good luck finding one. Otherwise boxes like the RC-20 and the JamMan are stand-alone. No MIDI, and for some reason they allow you to control some functions via foot controller, but not loop feedback. I get the feeling that they were all designed by people wo never used a looper.