1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Different Maggie, different question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GretschWretch, Apr 9, 2014.

1. What I have: a Magnatone Hurricane bass (not the one I posted about yesterday) so modded there is no possibility of restoration
    to original spec. (Don't bother asking for details; the only surviving original part that has not been modified is the top nut.)

* P/J configuration with a Bartolini P and an anonymous J pickup
    * V/blend/V control arrangement
    * No ground to bridge but the electronics instead hooked to a 4 x 7inch metal plate screwed into the body beneath the pickguard (?!?!?)

What I want:

* Keep the P & J and add a third pickup at the neck
    * Put all three pickups on V/T concentric pots
    * No pickup selector switch(es); each pickup goes directly to the output jack, bypassing the other pickups, essentially three single-pickup basses on one husk, using the volume control(s) to activate/blend the pickups

What I want to know:

Is this even doable? I know I can hook the pups to the jack in the manner described, but how would the instrument sound?
    Would working multiple pickups independently in this way create capacitance/resistance issues that would undermine the whole effort? Is there other electrical quicksand I may be striding into?