Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Different Options for a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassBeat33, May 3, 2005.

1. BassBeat33

BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    Well i have finally gotten my new rig put together for the most part, so it's time to start researching for a new bass. I want to buy a good next step bass. I want to be able to narrow down the choices. So i guess if someone has a link or input on any of the following things I'm trying learn about that would be great.

1) What is the difference in sound offered by different woods?
    2) Pros and Cons of neck thru
    3) What sounds different pickups are meant for (p's, j's, soapbars)?

Those are some ideas that I'm wanting to learn about the most at this point. So, if anyone has any input or links to sites that would provide some of this info. it would be much appreciated.

jw

2. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    1) Softer wood (like Rosewood) produces warmer tones with less sustain; harder wood (like Maple) produces brighter tone with more sustain
    2) Neck-thru's are a pain in the ass to fix compared to bolt-on's, but some people say they give more clarity / better acoustics
    3) J pickups give that "Aaaaaah" type bass sound or the typical growl. P pickups give a plainer and more precise tone.