Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

different output pickups problem?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by emre03, Jul 14, 2005.

1. emre03

emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Turkey,Istanbul
    Hi;
    I've recently decided to add a pickup to my bass. The current pickup on my bass is a status(kent armstrong) single coil+phantom coil soapbar; and i will buy and install a Bartolini CB triple coil pickup next to it.
    And then i'll install a 3-way coil tap for the bartolini and a noll electronics 4 band preamp.
    I guess these pickups have different output levels; so my questions are:
    1- will this cause me a big problem if the output levels are different from eachother?
    2- is there a way to "equalize" or level out the output levels before the preamp and the pan pot.

thanks.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    1. Depends on the difference
    2. If you use a preamp like the u/j retro, you can individually adjust the gain per pickup

3. emre03

emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Turkey,Istanbul
    wow, you are fast as usual.

i think i may see the difference a little too late, because i'll get the bart pu from u.s.a, the preamp from germany and the other pickup is in turkey; where all these parts will be put together

i was hoping that there might be a capacitor like thingy that i can install when all the things are put together and i realize that one pickups sound is too powerfull compared to the other.

P.S: abut j/u retro: i'd get on of these if they had a 4 band model(even when they're way expensive than nolls) but unluckily john east hasn't come up with one yet.