Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Different reinforced necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyKnoz, Nov 28, 2002.

1. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    I was wondering the difference a carbon/steel/graphite reinforced neck would have on the sound/tone (if any) and the extra stiffness and weight it might give to the neck.
    Anyone have an idea?
    I never really had a chance to play any, at least to my knowledge.
    Thanks for any replies in advance.

Peace

2. thumb master

thumb master

Nov 2, 2002
    graphite necks are great for weight I set one up for a guy with a fender p bass it droped the weight a good 3 pounds and graphite necks don't lose tone because of humidity.

3. I think he means a reinforced wooden neck. There seems to be little or no weight difference betwwen a plain and a reinforced neck. The benefits are a contraversial topic. I dont like reinforced necks personally, I think it just marketing hype. My case is as follows; Stingrays have great necks, no reinforcing. Pedulla Raptures have great necks, no reinforcing. Fender Jazz Deluxe V MIA has a horrible neck, moves every which way, and it's reinforced. Stingrays and Pedullas have great B strings, Fender Jazz Deluxe has a mediocre B string. I'm not saying ALL reinforced necks are bad, I just dont think they are necessary.

4. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    I'll have to side with Marty here. I think a good neck is a good neck, regardless of reinforcements. On the other hand, I've never heard a Warmoth neck that I thought sounded good. The first thing I hear is the steel bars. They have a stiff, and cold tone to my ears, moreso than most graphites. I'm not knocking Warmoth, just don't like their necks. Also, they're WAY too heavy.

5. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    Thanks for the comments.
    Anyone else know about carbon or graphite reinforced necks.
    Thumb Master thanks for the comments on graphite necks, I have yet to play those as well.

Peace.

6. Gibsongeek, how could you ever compair a Stingray to a Fender?! I have played tons of Fenders, both really cheap and really expensive and, among other things, I have noticed that they ALL have mediocre to flat out horrible B strings. Now, I admit, that I have played some sweet Fender 4-stringers that sounded great and played pretty well, but they just don't have the string tention needed for that low B string. It's just something about the company. However, I have also played on a Modulus 5-string with a graphite reinforced neck and it had a great B string. I also played on one of those Modulus Flea 4-string basses with the all graphite neck and, I have to say, that is the sweetest bass I have ever encountered. It had great tone and the harmonics produced because of the graphite neck were astounding. The thing about graphite necks is that they don't absorbe any of the string vibration like wood necks do, so more of the string's "energy/tone" is transfered to the pickup and the body of the bass, rather than being wasted on the neck. Hope that helps RyKnoz.

7. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Josh,
    I never made a comparison between Fender and MusicMan!? I was simply agreeing with Marty that reinforcement DOESN'T mean the neck is better. I totally agree with you that I've not heard a Fender "B" that sounded that great. The reason I don't like Warmoth necks is the same reason I don't like all graphite necks though. They sound "hard" to me. I agree that the harmonics are much more audible than on most other materials, they just sound cold. I have had a couple of Alembic Series I basses over the years, and you wanna talk about harmonics and attack! I just prefer a GREAT wooden neck. you mileage may vary.
    GEEK

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I owned a Pedulla Rapture J2 5 for a couple of years, one piece flatsawn maple neck with no reinforcements, and a 34" scale. Killer B string. Sadowsky also uses 34" scale, one piece flatsawn necks with no reinforcement, and they also have great B strings.

Graphite can help, but quality of construction is the number one factor.

I also have a Zon Sonus Custom fretless 5. It has an all graphite neck. The B string is pretty good, but not as good as the Pedulla's B was.

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Graphite reinforcement is alleged to cure or minimize the traditional Fender dead spot on the G string.

My HRPB has the graphite reinforced neck and no apparent dead spot. My non-graphite-reinforced Precisions have dead spots somewhere on the 5th-7th fret area of the G string, at least with 9050Ms.

Conclusive? No. Suggestive? Yes.

The graphite-reinforced HRPB neck is thinner and yet more stable in the climactic up-and-downs here.

10. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    I'm assuming this, but it seems that graphite necks may help necks with warping and dead spots, and they vibrate less, causing a higher output to result. The main cause for good necks is construction.
    Thanks alot guys, but can anyone respond a little more about steel and carbon reinforced necks?

11. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Graphite reinforced necks don't vibrate less, they just make the neck stiffer. All other things (like mass) staying more or less equal, this means a higher resonant frequency, and usually a smaller bandwidth to the resonance. In most cases, this makes dead spots go away.

Graphite and steel reinforcements both make necks stiffer, although they do sound different. The added mass of steel has a loading effect on the neck that increases brightness and sustain - many people like this about our necks. Graphite itself is bright-sounding but the epoxy matrix that holds the fibers together tends to dampen high frequencies. Carbon bicycle forks and frames use this effect to make the ride smoother.

A neck using both graphite and steel reinforcements would be plenty stiff and have the brightness and added sustain of steel. But then again so would an all-steel-reinforced neck, and either would be heavier than a neck with all graphite reinforcements, so I don't know that there'd be much application for this.

12. I would talk to Steve Mosher with Moses Graphite. I would also talk to Joe Zon of Zon guitars. Between the two of them, you would have all world knowledge of graphite and neck support.