Different sort of band problem-Advice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jackaroe, Jun 17, 2002.

1. jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    saw the thread about dead-beat band members, but this is alittle more involved. So me and one of my longtime buds decided to get a group together (him on keys, still in search of a drummer). we both have been playin under a year, problem is he makes no attempt to better himself. his playing consists of hitting keys w/o regard, constantly trying to play over/louder, and shooting down just about every idea. to top it off he has a nice problem w/Blow. what should i do about this situation? should i stick it out and hope things get better? give him the boot, if so how to break it nicely? thanx
  2. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    c'mon now. Do you really need to be told what to do in this situation?? What do you think you should do?
  3. jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    Ya, obviously but he thinks otherwise. Thats why i was wondering how to put it w/o losing a good friend. Do i just come out and say that its not gonna work cause hes not good and doesn't attempt to be? tell him to clean up his act? make excuses? Ya know?
  4. jackaroe

May 12, 2002
    right, great points. thanx
  5. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Ed's got a great point.

My band doesn't play or practice as much as I would like, so I thought about quitting... but then I decided that it could be to my advantage that we don't play as much as I would like.

Now I use that time for my bass lessons, practicing, and studying for my next promotion at work. It would have been cool to be playing a gig ever week, and practicing once or twice a week on top of that... but heck, there is plenty of stuff that I can choose to do to improve my playing, my knowlege, my career, and my life... with or without my band. :)