1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

different sound on a p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JustOpenYourMind, Apr 5, 2003.

1. I want to know if certain person here use a pick on there p-bass.

I'm looking for a certain tone with my bass: a good pick tone...

when I pick I get a very, I mean very ****ty sound all trebly and twangy noting close to some good tones I hear on some recordings where I know the bassist is using a P.

when my P is strung with very dead rounds or flats the tone with fingers is realy warm but it's too dead to use with a pick.

I tried some d'addario Exls and I hate the sound i get

Do you think it's the strings or my bass is a lemon or else, what do you do to make your p-bass sound good picked.

2. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I think you perceive the tone as unsavory because you are playing solo. If you had the rest of the band around you playing along I think it would blend in better and not sound so harsh. Just my guess.

3. no the thing is that with my band 2 guitarist and a drummer the tone doesnt fit in the mix at all and sound all bad

but thanks anyway :)

4. what's your amp EQ like?

5. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I use a pick with my P-Bass sometimes, but I use the POD as a preamp and I tweak it to my liking, I use long soft D'addarios, and I like to use em when they sound pretty worn in... I'm going to try flats as soon as it arrives.. but yea I just use the pod to tweak the sound most of the time