different sound on a p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JustOpenYourMind, Apr 5, 2003.

1. I want to know if certain person here use a pick on there p-bass.

I'm looking for a certain tone with my bass: a good pick tone...

when I pick I get a very, I mean very ****ty sound all trebly and twangy noting close to some good tones I hear on some recordings where I know the bassist is using a P.

when my P is strung with very dead rounds or flats the tone with fingers is realy warm but it's too dead to use with a pick.

I tried some d'addario Exls and I hate the sound i get

Do you think it's the strings or my bass is a lemon or else, what do you do to make your p-bass sound good picked.
  2. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    I think you perceive the tone as unsavory because you are playing solo. If you had the rest of the band around you playing along I think it would blend in better and not sound so harsh. Just my guess.
  3. no the thing is that with my band 2 guitarist and a drummer the tone doesnt fit in the mix at all and sound all bad

but thanks anyway :)
  4. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I use a pick with my P-Bass sometimes, but I use the POD as a preamp and I tweak it to my liking, I use long soft D'addarios, and I like to use em when they sound pretty worn in... I'm going to try flats as soon as it arrives.. but yea I just use the pod to tweak the sound most of the time