Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Different sound with bass volume all the way up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PhilMan99, Oct 10, 2003.

1. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    With both my passive bass (er, uh, Squier....) and active bass (lowish-end Ibanez, $550 new), I really like the sound better when the bass's volume-level is set no more than about 3/4. The sound at full volume on the bass just doesn't sound as "smooth" somehow.

Anyone else have this experience, either live or studio? My experience is exclusively live.

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    What kind of amp are you playing through?

3. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    Same experience with:

* Roland keyboard amp

* Fender Bassman 200

* Fender Bassman 25

4. It sounds different because the pots (the thingies under the knobs) are basically objects in the way of your signal. The more you turn the knob down, the more RESISTANCE is put into your signal, which directly affects your sound. The tone knob on a passive bass does exactly that. It passivly cuts (without use of a battery) the treble frequencies...think of it as a filter. The volume knob will mildly cut the treble frequencies (at least in my experience). Does this make sense and does this help?

5. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I wouldn't think that resistance would cut the highs (as opposed to capacitors), but something's happening on both my basses, so maybe that's it. I don't think anything is wrong, I'm just trying to understand what's happening.