1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Different Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spego, Mar 19, 2009.

1. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    Is it ok to run two 4ohm speakers in series even if they are different wattages? (say 250 on one and 300 on another) Just wondering if it hurts anything realizing its not ideal.

2. Just so you'll have a reply to your query, The published wattage ratings of drivers are almost meanlingless with regards to bass cabinets. What counts is, the interaction of the drivers with the cab design.

There are several respected speaker experts on this forum who could give great advice if you were more specific as to the driver models and cabinet design.

Bill Fitzmaurice, greenboy, Passinwind, and AlexClaber devote a lot of energy here to point bassists in the right direction. Hopefully you will reword your question with specifics and get a good answer!!

Edit: It doesn't hurt to fill out your profile so we know whwere your from, what's your experience, etc.....It makes a difference!

3. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    It is just a general question....no specific details....just a "I was wondering" type of question. If electrically there is no negative effects of running two different wattage speakers together in series then thats all I was wondering.

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi spego.

So, you wanna know about speakers, eh? Well here ya go.

See you next week! :)

5. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    Thanks for the link. I know I have read through a lot of the info in those links (probably didn't retain as much as I would like) but I do not recall coming across an answer to this question though. That was the only reason I asked....I have done a lot of reading and used the search function and cannot locate anything like this. I am fine if I don't ever know but would like to find out. :)

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

With two same-impedance speakers in series, the total power will be split between them.

So if you send 500w to the pair, each gets 250w. If you send more, say, 700w, then each gets 350w. That fries the 250w driver.

7. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Exactly, though just for clarification to the OP, it would only fry once you put that actual wattage through the cab - by turning it up/increasing the volume. Simply plugging it in wouldn't fry it.

Hypothetically speaking.

8. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    If I were forced to run two dissimilar speakers (in two separate cabs?) as you have described, I'd put the weaker one at the top of a cab stack where I could hear it better.

If it started to complain, I'd turn the amp down a bit and cater my rig's maximum volume to the weakest link in the signal chain.

9. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    Ok this makes sense. Oh yeah and I was thinking in the same cabinet too....not 2 separate cabinets. I was thinking the 2 4ohm speakers wired together to a 8ohm load on the amp. I know I have been in music go round and seen these cabs that obviously had mismatched speakers in them (tell by looking at the outside) and always wondered if the wattage were different if they would mess up the amp or something. But I guess not.....just blow the lowest speaker out and cause the cab to stop working being its in series.

10. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Loading 2 mismatches speakers in identical box airspace probably isn't going to work out well. Even if one is in the "right" airspace to perform well, the other probably isn't. The port always needs to be tuned to work with the speaker/box combination. There is always that possibility that you get lucky, or course...you can try anything you want, but don't go out and buy mismatched drivers on purpose. Chances are it won't sound as good as the same money put towards matching drivers in the "right" box.

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I would never run two non-identical speakers in series because their differing impedance curves will play utter havoc with the amount of power each cab gets at a given frequency and thus screw up the frequency response.

Alex

12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Since the power rating of drivers/speakers is one of their least significant attributes the short answer is no. OTOH all of the factors that are significant must be identical for a predictable result. This applies to series or parallel wiring.

13. spego

spego

Dec 1, 2008
    Hazleton PA
    Thats cool.... a lot of good stuff there. Thanks for all the responses.