1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Different string brands on bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jdoe83fr, May 18, 2011.

1. jdoe83fr

jdoe83fr

May 18, 2011
    Hi, I'm new here.:)

Sorry if this question has already been asked, I made a search but couldn't find...

Anyway, I bought my new fender 50s p bass (yay!!:D) on saturday and, as I've heard that flats strings are great on p bass, I have decided to buy a set (I bought the Fender stainless flatwound long scale).

I haven't change strings on an instrument for ages, but I guessed it was like riding a bike. Apparently not as I broke the E string, but fortunately I was able to put the old E string back as I remembered how to put a string correctly, after I broke the new one of course....:mad:
    I've been looking everywhere and they don't sell single fender flatwound string. But i've seen that Ernie ball was selling single ones.

So I was wondering if it was ok to put different brands on my bass. If not, I'll have to buy a new set again.

Thanks.

2. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    It's gonna sound a little different from the other strings.
    But not as bad as regular round wound strings would.

3. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    +1
    If you stayed within the scale size of that set you stand a better chance of it not being really noticed at all. Especially with (true) flats - not ground wounds, etc. because once flats get stretched and tuned solid they stay that way; maintaining that "flat string tone" for years and years.
    If you notice some significant physical difference or if the manufacturing element (the "ground-wound" issue, etc) was decidedly different, then I would buy a new set, etc.

4. It's OK - won't hurt a thing. Will just sound a bit different.

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    On the few occasions where I've snapped a string, I've mixed brands - no one notices, no one cares and it CERTAINLY doesn't hurt the instrument.

Oddly, I broke more flats (back when was first playing) than rounds - Looking back, I'd guess it's because I didn't know how to play... but one never knows.