Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

different strings a different volume levels?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pmkelly, Jan 19, 2002.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Alrighty then, I need your help... I have begun to notice that the output volume on my E string of my geddy lee is significantly higher than the other strings... this in my mind is not good, and I need to correct it! I have speculated through the following and don't think that these are the answer...

1) I can really take a "running start" at the E and really whack the crap out of it, the other strings are more "covered" so you really can't...

2) The pickups aren't level... DUH, already thought of that!

3) I am hearing things.... always a possibility, but I don' think you can help me with that!

4) I am over-tweeking everything, and I am spending way too much time worrying about little stuff and not spending near enough time practicing!

So what do you guys think, why is the output on my e string greater than the rest of my strings?

P@

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    One problem I ran into with my old bass was that the pup windings weren’t very good. The manufacturer (Fender/Squier) didn’t wind consistently up to the top of the pup, which caused my B to have a lot less volume than the other strings. You could have a tech check this out or if your knowledgeable in this department you could check it out for yourself.

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    the pups are dimarzio model j's, so I don't think (can't be sure) that that isn't the problem... anyone else have any ideas?

P@

4. maybe your E string is set too low at the bridge.
    OR there's a fault with the strings causing uneven output- what brand and type of strings are you using?

5. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Fender original bass nickel roundwounds.....

P@

6. I used to own a mid-eighties Stingray which had a weak amplified "E" string. I took it to the best luthiers in the area and they finally said it was something about the bass which was not fixable.

A also owned a MIM Fender Jazz 5 which had a loud "E". I sent it up to Mike Lull in Seattle who installed a set of Barts but they did not solve the problem.

A friend of mine had a Stingray with a loud "G" and couldn't get it fixed.

Bottom line..............who knows? Sometimes these wierd problems stay that way. But I would definately take it to a professional before thinking of getting rid of it. Good Luck!

Tony

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    hmmmmm.... get rid of it? I think not! This thing was a christmas gift from my wife, it's going nowhere! But I understand that it might just be the inherent "weirdness" of my bass (I wonder if that is covered by the warranty!):D

P@

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I know you said the pickups arent level and you already thought of that.

But maybe you should try lowering the pickup a bit more and raising the other side a bit.

Maybe you just didnt adjust it enough to create an even tone?

I dont know if you can adjust the poles or not, but if you can maybe you should try that if you can.