Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

different strings - problematic?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by oliebrice, Aug 24, 2005.

1. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I'm thinking of trying a gut-type g string along with my spirocore mittels, maybe a velvet anima, maybe an innovation. I know various bassists have a gut or synthetic G with steel strings, ie Charlie Haaden, Simon Thorpe, but I was wondering if there is a problem withthe gut string being quieter thannthe spiros, and also if the different tension makes string crossing awkward?
    anyone here tried this combination?

2. The combo you mention is good, but requires some adjustment in technique.

My experience is that if you play with this setup for a while, you won't notice the difference in feel so much between the different strings.

Charlie Haden apparently uses Spirocore Mittel with his Golden Spiral G and D. This is a fairly significant spread of tensions, with a 2/3 ratio between the D and E string (the Golden Spiral G is significantly tighter than the D). Plain gut or nylon covered gut G and D strings have a fuller sound which seem to match the lower steel strings in terms of volume. Also remember that gut strings are, for the same tension, stiffer feeling than spirocores which are very springy feeling strings.

I tried solo spirocores tuned down with gut G and D, and the bottom strings seemed quieter and too flabby although the setup recorded very well on my plywood bass. I think Weich gauge spirocores might be the best compromise for the lower strings. I got good results with gut on top and Thomastik Superflexibles on the bottom which have a feel somewhere in between Spirocore Mittel and Weich but a darker sound than spirocores.

-Jon

3. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    thats funny, I was worried that it would be the gut that would be quieter and 'flabbier'... shows how much I know...
    Velvet Animas are aynthetic, aren't they?

4. Don't get me wrong, Spirocore orchestral gauge strings are anything but quiet and flabby, but on my plywood bass, the solo spiros tuned down didn't excite the bass enough and were quieter than the gut. They also bottomed out when I really dug in, and that was with higher than normal strings height. I don't want to give anyone the wrong imression about Spirocores.
    -Jon