different stuff

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Yvon, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I didn't know where to put this thread, and I had no idea how to call it!

Well, this afternoon I met bassboy (Randy) first Montreal talkbass GT?
    A very nice guy! We had a good time, we met in a music store. It's been a long time I've been in one. I usualy go there buy string and get out. But we stayed for about 1 hour and a half.
    So I tried his bass, a Mike Lull, swamp ash with a maple neck and fret board. The bass was quite heavy but sound great, I also love the neck!!
    Make me think about buying one...
    He tried my Tung, he seem to like it.
    We tried some Ken Smith on the wall, I was not really impress, it was my first time with a KS, they where the cheap one. still over 2500$ here. Randy pay less than that for his Lull, I would take a Lull way over a Smith.
    We also tried a Eden 2X10 and an SWR 2X10, I was not impressed buy neither one. I'M looking for a 2X10 and I didn't like either one.
    I don't know what I would buy. Randy might buy an Epiphany, so I will try it if he buy it.

Well, this is pointless I know...
    But I had a good time.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I spent about three hours in a local store yesterday. My Surine sold so I got the money for that.

Found a Carvin that really impressed me. An LB76, looked like a Maple body with the MM humbucker and a J. Played extremely well and sounded very good. Pretty sure that the strings on it played a big part (seriously)...I'm trying to find out what they were;). There were four other Carvins there including a fretless LB76 that were average.

Played the Carvin through an old Peavey head and a newer Ampeg 15 and it sounded very nice. Sounded very nice through a B100R, too. Tried it through a Mo' Bass and a Goliath III and I'm still totally unimpressed with this amp. I could not get a pleasing basic sound out of it.

Spent the rest of the time shooting the breeze with other musicians.
  3. Yvon, that was a good hang at the store yesterday. BTW I really like the Tung. It reminds me of a Ken Lawrence. I agree about the Ken Smith basss. I liked the six but not the five. I also agree with you about the 210 cabs. They both left me wanting more. I had a gig later that night with my 11 piece funk band and my Euphonics 208 blew them both away. I still need to try an Epifani 212!! Next time we meet I'll bring my F bass!
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...yeah, I spent last Saturday in one of our local stores; rapped a little with Quentin Berry(plays his bass in a very unorthodox manner)...he's was talking about his Spector endorsement and his SWR endorsement...
    Man, there was a young kid(looked about 15-16 years old) playing a Smith 6...WHEW! I'm talking bebop horn-style licks & some very MUSICAL tapping. 20 years ago, that would've bothered me! ;)

Anyway, I played a Roscoe 5 thru a rackmounted Aguilar preamp with a 3x10 Bergantino atop a 1x15 Bergantino. In-store, those cabs sounded 'great' & they're smaller/lighter than my Eden stuff...dammit!
    (Tomorrow, I'm picking up the Aguilar preamp; when will I ever learn!). ;)
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Tuesday, Jim...you'll definitely learn by Tuesday.

I stopped by the store today to check on the mystery strings...turns out they were SIT's. Who knew?;). I was playing the Carvin when a bassists came in who planned on buying it. He did. He found out the string type from the original owner.
  6. And when will you be picking up the Roscoe. You seem to like it a lot.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Well, I did get the Aguilar(@cost; it's been in there a year?)...
    It does sound "smoother" & somewhat 'fatter' than my Demeter preamp; then again, by Tuesday, my ears will probably notice no discernible difference(as Brad has already graciously primed me for). ;)

For Ss & Gs, I plugged my re-vamped '64 P-bass into the rig...damn, even with 3 strings from The Paleozoic Era(E-A-G; the D has been MIA for a couple months), that bass sounded pretty good(definitely 'Old School')..."Different 'Old' Stuff"???
    I'm a little in a quandry; the neck on that '64 is what I cut my teeth on(I've owned that bass since '75), BUT, it's wider than what I'm now used to...I dunno. ;)

...yeah, that Roscoe would be nice. It's a 5 & the ONLY basses I've ever sold were 5s; supposedly, Keith Roscoe is making a 4 for somebody that works at the store...maybe they'll change their mind when it arrives.
    BTW, there's a very nice Roscoe 5 that was custom-built for somebody; it has a humidor built into the back of the bass & a CIGAR pearl-inlay on the neck that starts at the 12th fret & ends about the 7th fret? Anyway, the guy got it, didn't like it. & traded it in for something else...at a major loss, I'm sure! ;)