Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Different style of Fixing t-bird neck dive

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by WayCoolJr, Feb 28, 2006.

1. WayCoolJr

WayCoolJr

Jan 20, 2006
    I have found the solution. I didnt like the bolt behind the neck because i can't get my straplocks in there so i followed nikki sixx's foosteps and moved the rear bolt up to just below the top

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I moved the rear one about 1 1/2" above the old position (the same place the '60s birds had it), AND the other one to the heel of the neck. The bass balances perfectly.

3. Rocknrolljunkie

Rocknrolljunkie

Jan 29, 2006
    hey i own a epiphone thunderbird and i love the bass but the only thing i hate is the neck dive. i dont understand 100% of your sollutions. you have pic or drawings of how you solved it? i'd really appreciate :)

4. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

This explains the back of the neck move:

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/music/thunderbird_mod/

This one shows an extra strap button moved up 1 1/2".

[​IMG]

Both of these are ways to change the balance point so that the neck doesn't dive. I've done both and mine balances perfectly. The Gibson in the picture is mine.

5. Shodown, does yours have a hole up where your right elbow would be?

6. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    No, that would be too high for me. Mine balances perfectly as it is.

7. I've got a hole there in my 79, as if someone put one there- or it came that way. My old 65 Epi Olympic came with 3 strap pegs on it- that's the way they did it back then...

Just out of view to the left...

[​IMG]

8. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    79's didn't have it there, so someone added it. The '60s birds had it where I added it on mine, about 1 1/2" off center, instead of at the center like the later ones. It is a common mod, but the most common is the back of the neck heel. I have two '76 birds. One is all original that I bought new. I haven't modded it at all, and won't. The other I bought as a project bass and rebuilt. It had a repaired neck break, and no original parts, so I didn't feel bad about modding it. I added a strap lock at the neck heel, and the one slightly off center on the back button. It balances perfectly.

9. jonpyke

jonpyke

Mar 4, 2006
    Hi Chaps - first post here - in fact the reason I came looking for a bass forum was to try and find a solution to my t-bird dropping. It looks as though you all have gibsons - due to budget constraints I have an epiphone which is a bolt on neck.

Any suggestions as to adding/re-placing the strap peg?

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I had a thunder bird about 10 years ago and the best thing for the neck dive issue is not letting the bass go while you're playing it. :) Right wrist on the body and left hand on the neck.
    :D

11. jonpyke

jonpyke

Mar 4, 2006
    Ahem.

Just read the earlier post by showdown with the link to the page explaining the change, so now I know what to do.

Thanks for your help!

J

12. Another thing is to use a leather strap with a rough backing. Instead of just sliding off your shoulder, the strap will grab on to your shirt/skin whatever...

13. Rocknrolljunkie

Rocknrolljunkie

Jan 29, 2006
    thx for the advice guys! i allready use a leather strap with rough backing but it isnt enough :)
    i think i know somebody that can replace the strapholderthingy at the neck.

tx again