Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Different styles

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Finn, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Finn

Finn

Nov 20, 2001
    Is it better to own differet bass for every music style you play. For example metal and jazz.

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It depends. Some basses are very versatile, others more suited for one particular style. I've played a Fender Jazz bass in a heavy metal band, then a alternative band, and then a country band. Other basses, like the Jackson for example, are designed for one particular style and may not work as well in other styles of music. I have an Epihone EB-3 that is great for getting that Jack Bruce low end growl. But that is really the only sound you can get with it. The Tobias I play now is very versatile, and could be used with any style. If you can only afford one bass, get something with a wide range of sounds, so you can use it to play anything. If you can afford it, then there is nothing wrong with having a different bass for every style. It is up to you. I have four 4 strings, two 5 strings, an acoustic bass guitar, and a fretless. I can cover pretty much anything... But then I frequently suffer from G.A.S. :D To answer your question, there is no "better" way, just what is best for you. And what is best for you may not be best for someone else.