Different tone for the other P bass - Pup replacement suggestions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jim C, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I have the traditonal P tone covered and a spare non vintage P bass as a platform for a different tone.
    Thinking of active but not positive I want to get into a pre just yet.
    Thinking EMG or a Bart with a drop in no new holes preamp.
    Suggestions?

2. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I’ve got one that came with the Custom Shop 60s pup, and one into which I installed EMG Geezers. Very happy with both.

CS60s do the traditional very well. Geezers are my rock tone.

3. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Bit if I'm not mistaken, both sound like a traditional P.
    I have that covered by a few 70's P's.
    Looking to make the MIM sound different / more modern

4. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    I don’t like the bog standard vintage P sound, lets just get that out of the way.
    Closest thing to a modern P I like is a Nordstand big single....more on this later.
    I’m not a fan of Nordstrand P pickups, ironic but I think they’re J voiced.

Modern P to me starts with 80s basses like emg pjs in a Spector with a haz on one end of the 80s rock tone scale.
    The other end would be Bart pjs with a TCT + mid module.
    Think Tobias, Pedulla, etc.

Bartolini b-axis is a cool modern evolution of the Bart sound, they’ve come far with b-axis.
    I don’t think EMG has done that much with Px, pa, pax that goes 30-40 years from the original active P.
    Somewhere in the middle would be overwound Ps like the sd 1/4 which are too narrow for what you’re trying to do.

You can box an onboard preamp.
    Bartolini did a run of ntmb pedals for the Japanese market.
    Seymour Duncan boxed their 3band.
    It’s a simple enough thing to setup a box for what might be a bunch of preamps until you hit on the one you like best.

Somewhere in the past 15 years they’ve played with J rout position, and overwound Js. TonyP’s signature Lull bass is a sound in my head I’ve wanted PJs to do but Im not motivated enough to go build something like it.

Jim C likes this.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I don't find that the tone of P basses changed a lot since the introduction of the split pickup.
    The variations we hear along the years come more from fashion ans uses : flats then rounds, progressively getting rid of the mute, amp and cabs.
    If you take a pbass from 58, take off the bell and mute, install fresh steel rounds on it and plug into a Mesa, it will sound the same as a P fresh out of the shop.

6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Alembic pickup and LPF. Would be completely different, still flexible, and quite modern. Expensive though.

7. jbrew73

jbrew73

Dec 24, 2006
    Dimarzio Model P is a nice contrast to the same old same old vintage P pickup sound.

Jim C and BillMason like this.
  8. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    I have a MIM parts P with a model P.
    I'd argue that hotter PS tend to go towards the J side, sd 1/4 lber is an extreme example.

Humbucking J's certainly head towards the hot 80's rock p.

I'd want to preserve some original P if I was to follow the OPs exercise.

Otherwise you can rout out a body and have a pickguard made for about anything hot in any format and the tones start to blur into each other like yellow mustard tastes.

Some other thread a guy was analyzing a P sound.
    It's really narrow, once you cross in either direction away from a P then I'd argue any slew of pickups will produce a "modern" sound.....but it won't be a P.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021