Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Different Tones and Stuff

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SECONDandBOWERY, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Hey - i'm not very good at getting different tones and stuff out of my amp (Hartke 2000 - has the graphic EQ and a 2 band EQ as well) so i was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on how i can get my bass to sound like : Kim Deal's bass on the pixies song "Gouge Away" from Debaser, and rancid's bassist (i dunno his name) on "Maxwell Murder" (i dont know the album) I have a P. BAss with passive electronics so no suggestions about active electronics. also i play with my fingers and not a pick (even though sometimes you need it for that "punch") so try to keep that in mind. Thanks

2. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Well the Freeman tone is mostly pick and jazz bass, so I think you are somewhat out of luck there.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    without being familiar with those tunes i cant get too specific
    a lot of your sound depends upon your technique - i know that sucks to hear, i hate to practice too ;)
    anyhow, it's not too hard to get a feel for what each frequency sounds like and how adjusting it on your amp can alter your tone. With a graphic eq i would suggest boosting and cutting each frequency one at a time and jotting down your impressions about what that sounds like - it takes a while to get a feel for eq'ing (kinda like practice), but it's worth it
    just remember that you really dont want to boost or cut a frequency all the way when your'e really playing

4. ya for the matt freeman tone you really need to use a pick to match it. my band covers that song(Maxwell Murder) and I play with my fingers but I'm not going for an exact match of tone with it.