Different tuning

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 0scar, Mar 17, 2005.

1. 0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    I've been playing since I was 12 or 13 and I've always tuned either standard or some kind of proportionate drop (Dropped A, Dropped B, ect). After a while (and because I finally bought a chromatic tuner), I've decided to try something new out of boredom/curiosity...after messing around for a while, I found something that I actually felt comfortable with. I can freestyle and play stuff out without tripping over myself (for the most part)...I tuned from lowest to highest (5 string) G#,D,G#,C,F#. My question is for the alternative tuning experts--Do you pretty much abandon your standard tuning past and start fresh off again on your new tuning? How long does it take to get used to it? Also, to everyone out there, do you think alternative tunings is good or bad? My father, a long time bass player, is against it, but then again he is against any bass with more than 4 strings or anything that he'd feel is "uneccessary" through his conservatist eyes.

Hmm quite a ramble, sorry if I didn't lay stuff out too clearly. I'd like some feedback though please, thanks.
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    You might be best deleting this and posting it again in the Ask A Pro: Michael Manring and Steve Lawson forum here. Michael is very well known for doing into altered tunings (his signature Zon has detuners on all 4 strings) so he'd probably be the best to ask in this case. Good luck!