Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Different tuning

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Flea24, Nov 25, 2000.

1. Flea24

Flea24

Apr 7, 2000
    I was wondering different styles of tuning to create nice sounds like the standard tuning e a d g. I was wondering about different ways that are good

2. I've been using drop D for years [DADG] and have several really cool lines using it, I also use that tunung a lot on Fretless. I aso started experimenting with the tuning that Glen Moore uses [CADC].

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I have an old bass tuned in fifths CGDA, which gives me 5-string range on a 4. It's great for playing transcriptions of Bach's cello suites (actually easier than standard tuning), and after a while, I got my brain rewired so that I could play standard basslines without much difficulty. Chromatic lines necessitate slightly more shifting and stretching with fifths, but you have to have a busy left hand to cut it on the 4 anyway. It's also cool to have two octaves in a single position (with extensions, of course). And open fifths, to me, sound more sonorous than open fourths.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Tuning in fifths is such an intriguing idea, I'd like to experiment with that myself. Cellos are tuned in fifths, aren't they?

Jason Oldsted

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Cellos are tuned CGDA, low to high, one octave higher than the bass. Fifths tuning a good idea; it feels a little strange at first, but it pays off in the long run. If you abandon the one-finger-per-fret approach and start experimenting with wider stretches, it actually works really well. The only thing I've found doesn't exactly translate is my tapping skills. I'm used to tapping bass notes with my LH index finger; fifths tuning, however, puts a lot of bass notes on my LH middle or ring finger. Since my action is pretty high, I find the need to use my weaker fingers uncomfortable in these situations.

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

That is really interesting. I am concerned about the wider stretches required, because my hands have challenges enough stretching for some standard tuning positions. However, I'd like to try out the fifths tuning, just to hear how it sounds. Do you require different guage strings for the CDGA tuning? Wait...on a five string...CDGA...I'm messed up. What would the highest string be? I'd really like to check this out, just for fun and personal enlightenment.

Jason Oldsted

7. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    If you wanted to put a 5 string in fifths, it would go CGDAE, low to high, or FCGDA low to high.

[Edited by membranophone on 11-28-2000 at 08:26 AM]