Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Different tunings...how much effect on the bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dave120, Dec 14, 2005.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Ok so my band plays in pretty much 3 different tuning. standard EADG, E flat (half step down on all strings), and Dropped D.

Up until recently I had just been switching basses for the 1/2 step, mostly because I hate re-tuning everything, and just re-tuning for the Dropped D songs. In my experience the bass itself needs to be setup differently for each of these tunings to play as well as it can.

The bass I've been using most has been originally setup at 1/2 step, so when I tune it to standard the action gets raised slightly due to the extra tension (Not a big problem for me). Dropped D doesn't seem to affect too much other than less tension on the D string obviously.

My question is, I want to make some minor adjustments to leveling the frets off on my bass just to work out some very minor buzzes, but will this cause big problems since I tune so differently fairly often? I could just keep switching basses which is ok at practice, but sometimes that's a pain to do at shows when we're playing short sets and I have to re-adjust my EQ and stuff since all my basses are pretty different in sound so it wastes time.