Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Different tunings with same tension...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bigwan, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi guys - first post in the strings forum!

I currently use the same string guages on my 2 main basses, 40-100 guage strings (usually Elites Stainless Steels) on a Warwick Corvette and a Wal. However I use the Warwick for my metal band now and we tune down to D. If I want to keep the same, or similar tension on my Warwick at D as I have on my Wal tuned to standard concert pitch, should I be using 45-105 guage strings or do I need to go heavier again? 50-110 perhaps?

Chars

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I doubt you'd need to go that heavy as .050. I'd say .045 tuned down would probably be closer to the .040 in standard tuning.

3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    There is a D'Addario sheet that indicates gauges tuned to specific pitch and the corresponding tensions; from the look of it the .110 is a good call.

FWIW lighter gauges are more greatly affected by tension shifts - JimmyM is likely correct in suggesting a .045.

4. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    GHS Bass Boomers have a set that is heavier and has a much heavier low E string. Like 115 instead of 105. I have that on my bass tuned CGCF and it is tight!.

Remember new strings = possible intonation and maybe even a quick truss rod adj.

The truss rod probably wont be an issue but check your intonation over and make sure your 12th fret harmonic = the open string

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    The 12th fret harmonic always = the octave of the open string. You want the 12th fret harmonic to = the 12th fret fretted.

6. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I've been using .055-.110 for DGCF tuning and I'd say they are a little tighter than what I was expecting but pretty good.