Different types of true bypass ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the low one, Nov 29, 2017.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I have a quick question about the true bypass.

I have an MXR BOD and Snark pedal tuner which are both meant to be true bypass.

With no battery the MXR cuts the signal when you try and turn it on (press once), but restores the signal when you press it again. This is how I expected true bypass to work.

On the Snark it seems to work slightly differently. With no battery the signal passed through regardless of hitting the on/off button. Does the Snark just cut the link to the tuner if there is no power and sends everything straight from input to output?

So, is the true bypass wired differently on these 2 pedals? Are they both true bypass. I run very few pedals, sometimes just the tuner and octave so batteries are more convenient on these occasions.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

The octaver does some processing of the signal, so for it not to have an output when it's set to on with no battery in it wouldn't be unusual.

The tuner doesn't do any processing, but it is designed to cut the out signal when it it's on. It's a clever design, so that when the battery fails you can still function.

3. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    True Bypass can be achieved through a switch or a relay (which is basically a switch activated by electricity).

In the case of the switch, like in MXR, if the pedal is unpowered, hitting the switch will cut the audio path.

In the case of the relay, if it is unpowered, the switch will do nothing, since electricity is needed to switch the signal to the pedal circuitry.

In both cases, when the pedal is bypassed, the signal goes unaffected from the input to the output.

Swimming Bird likes this.
  4. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Thanks guys, I didn't know that :)

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021