Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Different Version of an Old Joke

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by Devils Creek, Feb 3, 2005.

1. At last.....one for the blue grassers.....

How many bluegrassers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Five.....One to change the bulb, and four to sing about how great the old bulb was before it was taken away...

2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    LOL nice one :D

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    What have they done with the old G.E.?
    Why did it have to blow?
    And why did I leave that lamp in the den
    to look for that cool fluorescent glow?

J.D. Crow would be proud!!!

4. Ok....you win....that was even better...

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The real version of that song is probably my most favorite BG tune ever done. I like J.D's version the best, but I have it on a Dillard's recording that is pretty good. I think it was originally their song. Rodney may have written it.

I also have it on Ricky Skaggs' live at Charlston Hall CD that he did not too long ago. Of course, it is very good.

6. Yeah it´s a nice BG song, common stuff in local jam sessions.
    I used to hear it:
    "And why did I leave the cow in the fields..."

It always made me wonder what happened to the poor cow.

R2

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    [​IMG]

8. Now I got the beef.

R2

9. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    He became my G, D, and A strings. :D

10. Chas...yer right on as usual....though it was actually written by Dean Webb of the Dillards.

I've always thought this was one of the best examples of one of the two main categories of bluegrass music - the "repossessed real estate songs."...other fine examples are Fred Eaglesmith/James King version of Thirty Years of Farming, Special Consensus's "Thirty-Two Acres", and innumerable "Little Cabin on the Hill" songs by Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs, The Stanley Bros. etc.

The other main category of bluegrass is, of course, the "Dead Girlfriend Songs". (These are my personal favorites), starting with Bill Monroe's "Footprints In The Snow", "Poor Ellen Smith", "Walls Of Time", and so on, and so on.....

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

In the dead girlfriend song strand, I go for another tune that I learned off the Dillards, "Polly Vaughn." Following up in a close second would be "Down in the Willow Garden."

A dead girlfriend song just isn't the same unless the singer is the killer.

I might have to create a third category I'll call the meaningless banter category.

"A mule and grasshopper eatin' ice cream,
    the mule got sick and they laid 'im on a beam."

That's poetry, man.

12. What category would "Rock salt & nails" fall into then?

R2

13. Definitely a Dead Girlfriend Prequel....

14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Certainly. Perhaps even a psychopathic serial killer in the making.

15. A couple of years back, we played an evening benefit for a large seniors centre.

At the coffee shop post mortem following the show, the fiddle player said he was really depressed because the audience didn't seem to get into the show like usual.

I asked him "What do you expect? We just sang 19 songs about dying to a bunch of 80 year old people"

16. That'd be J. D. Crowe.

Sub-categories: Blue Ridge Mountains
    Trains

17. Well, girlfriends are all well and good, but don't forget Mother - dead or alive

"With faded cheeks and hair" - what an image

18. BrandonEssex

BrandonEssex

Feb 21, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    what about this one, my personal favorite within the girlfriend murdering genre....... just like an extra kitten..........