Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Different versions of St. Thomas

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Aaron Saunders, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    This is a *really* cool tune that I've dug for a while, but I only have the original version off of Saxophone Colossus. However, after looking up the song on the AMG, I see that it's been recorded many...many times. Does anyone have any particularly favourite versions, or are there any particularly historically important ones other than the original?

2. VTDB

VTDB

Oct 19, 2004
    VeeTee
    I have a version by Tal Farlow off of "Chromatic Palette" and I'm thinking Jim Hall recorded this tune a few times although I'm not sure which albums.

3. jlilley

jlilley Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Mill Creek, WA
    Jim Hall and Ron Carter recorded it on one of their duet CDs. That is a very cool version.
    John

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    You beat me to it! That was the one that popped into my head first.

5. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Jim Hall and Bob Brookmeyer (just duo) from "Live at the North Sea Jazz Festival." One of the greatest jazz recordings ever! (And it's great to play along with--no bass or drums, and when you can feel the time the same way those two do then you're set for life...)

6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I really like the Michel Camilo version on "Thru My Eyes". The credits say it's Lincoln Goines on bass.

7. St. Thomas is a good example of what you can get out by playing just the C major scale.
    I think Sonny Rollins himself did the best to this tune.

R2

8. Anyone know that the melody was not written by Sonny? I was just in the Virgin Islands, and at a record store on St. Thomas, and the worker there told my family that it is actually a common "folk" melody down there.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yeah, Sam Sherry e-mailed that info to me not long after I posted this thread. Interesting, eh?

PS: Something I never mentioned before...for some reason, as soon as I started playing this song the first time, I immediately recognized the melody -- especially the last few bars -- as something I've heard a looooong time ago. I'm talking when I was a little kid...but I had almost no exposure to jazz before I was about 14 or so. Weird, eh?