Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

different wattage from mixing ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yossarian, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I have a Peavey Max 700 (475 watts at 4 ohms, 700 watts at 2 ohms) and 410TVX (the 4 ohm one), and im hoping to add another cab. I'd prefer a 210, for portability, and I was thinking Peavey 210 (4 ohm one) but peavey said the 350 watts that would go into that would be bad news.

I've been reading some of the other posts on mixing ohms for this situation, but I'm still a bit confused on some things: if I mix a 4 ohm and 8 ohm cab, will my amp not put out 700 watts? what will it be? and will whatever amount of watts it puts out be distributed evenly between the two cabs, or will more go to the 4 ohm one? and uh... how much more?

I'm trying to figure out if it would be safe to run my 4ohm 410TVX and an 8 ohm 210TVX. Thanks, anyone who responds!

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    If your amp has a 2 ohm rating, then it should be safe.

8 ohm with 4 ohm is 2.66 ohm.

2.6 ohms won't quite get you all the 700 watts @ 2 ohm.

Watts will not be evenly distributed.
    The 4 ohm cabinet will get more, and the 8 ohm cabinet less.

3. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    thanks! but im really wondering if running my 4 ohm 410TVX and 8 ohm 210TVX will be safe for the 210. It can only handle 350 watts program, so I'm wondering how much power it would getting from that setup

4. I believe the Peavey 210 TVX is available in 4 ohm only. It's a good sounding cabinet but it's 175 watts RMS, that scared me away.

5. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    The 210 will get around 200 watts, the 410 around 400. And the mismatch doesn't really matter, and in fact will probably be a good thing since each speaker will get the same amount of power (100w).

6. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    well crap. it does in fact appear to be available in 4 ohms only. *no longer has reason to live*

I'll have to get a different brand... but I hate having cabs of different brands... it makes me twitch. I'm neurotic about it. Every time I look at my rig I'll be like "You don't match. What's that about?

7. I think it would be ideal to run a 4 ohm 4x10 with an 8 ohm 2x10 for the reson mentioned above.

I run a 4 ohm 2x12 and an 8 ohm 1x15 for the same reason.