1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Different ways of playing arpeggios

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by drewphishes, Dec 2, 2017.

1. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    So I am getting stuck playing my arpeggios the same way every time usually 1 3 5 7 with the normal box shape root middle finger 3rd index 5th pinky etc

Looking for different combinations to spice up my playing a bit so its not as stale maybe some other ideas

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Pinky root, ring third, index fifth. Other than that you are gonna be shifting positions, or not playing finger per fret.

HolmeBass and tlc1976 like this.
  3. R-5-8-5 is generic and works over major and minor chords.
    I like R-3-5-6.
    Friend plays Country R-3 and no one has come on stage and hit him in the face. LOL
    Then we do not have to start with the root all the time. I'm old school and was taught that our job is to call attention to the root and the best way to do that is root on one, but....... there is a place for inversions.

Chord tones plus the 6 & 8 seem to work. The 2 and 4 can be used as passing notes, but, as they are seldom found in chords, best to just use them as passing notes - do not start or stop on them. This opens the chromatic and or diatonic door for some walking.

So that pretty well takes care of what is found in arpeggios, experiment with the order you like...

Other than that there is the second octave......

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  4. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    Ye snt need one finger per fret def down for shifting

5. ba55i5t

ba55i5t

May 24, 2006
    Start doing inversions (ie 3 5 7 root; 5 7 root 3).

There are at least 3 ways of doing any 7th arpeggio starting on root:
    Root on first finger
    Root on second finger
    Root on fourth finger

This multiplied by inversions gives you 12 ways to play around one note in one position.

6. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
  7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Don't forget open and closed position arpeggios!

Seanto, LeeNunn, jallenbass and 3 others like this.
  8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Using arpeggios to understand chords requires you to know where all the notes are no matter where you start. So, for an Amin7 arpeggio, simply playing A C E G doesn't do much for learning how to play through chord changes. Assuming a standard-tuned four string with 21 frets, what you want to do is play E A C E G A C E G A C, from the open E string clear up to the high C on the G string, and descend. It's important that you also know what part of the chord you're playing so think of it as 5 1 b3 b7 5 etc. all through this. Helps a lot to SING the interval (sing the words "five", "one", 'flat three", "five", "flat seven", etc.).

This gets you away from the trap of simply playing shapes and into playing music.

Whousedtoplay and seang15 like this.
  9. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    Yes just continue the scale up or down additional strings without shifting hand position, and you'll find the start of other shapes. Or start the scale with a different finger. A lot of 90s country songs have continuous notes running up and down the scale. Shifting hand position just to keep the same arpeggio shape as the chord changes is not so efficient, it's easier for me to stay in the same place but change the arpeggio shape.

10. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    Play all the diatonic chords for a selected scale with minimal shifting, both for E and A string roots.

11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
  12. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Try them in two octaves to force the shifts of your hand in different places. It will give you a different "view" of the fretboard too.

13. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    An arpeggio (Italian: [arˈpeddʒo]) is a type of broken chord, in which the notes that compose a chord are played or sung in a rising or descending order. An arpeggio may also span more than one octave.
    (Only in a rising or descending order!)

What about incorporating/playing/practicing notes of "a broken chord - a chord broken into a sequence of notes. A broken chord may repeat some of the notes from the chord and span one or more octaves.?

14. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Check this out:

StayLow likes this.
  15. Best thread, I've read in a while.

drewphishes likes this.
  16. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    Just to spice it up add a tort pickguard to make arpeggios sound better:)

17. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Play 2-octave arpeggios. Check this guys video out, he's got some good patterns:

18. twinjet

twinjet AJ, you're the MAN! Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Learn 1st, 2nd and 4th finger positions. Check out Scott's Bass Lessons on YouTube.

Lobster11 likes this.
  19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999