Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difficult Conversion

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Slap Bass Ninja, May 20, 2003.

1. okay, see here, i'm a bassist, a REAL bassist, and i'm doing a pretty good job scalloping my stick bass' fretboard (any tips on that btw?), but my question on luthiering has little to nothing to do with bass

see i bought this left handed acoustic guitar for 10 clams in a pawn store, and i replaced the bridge, and the thing that goes above the end-pins, i replaced the tuning pegs and whatnot, the neck nut (and filed the neck nut appropriately for the strings), put on a new string setup, replaced the electronics etc etc

but something seems to be missing from the sound, and i'm putting it down to the fact that i've changed it from left handed config to a right hand config, so i need to know what else i can do to make it sound the way it should, if anything indeed can
    (ps - bargain buy: 10 smackers [plus 40 for new pieces] for something originally worth 450, and i got myself something good enough to play a gig with)

i'd post this at another place (a guitar forum, even) but i don't really trust any board but this one

pps - help me!

2. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Typically the top bracing in an acoustic guitar is asymmetrical because of the difference in tension between the bass and treble strings, and also to achieve the best transfer of both high and low frequencies from the strings through the bridge and to the soundboard (top). By reversing the strings you are to some extent cancelling out the way the top is designed to respond.

Think about a double bass: the bass bar is only placed on the E string side of the top, and serves to transfer the low frequencies over a larger resonating area. Whereas the soundpost is on the treble side only and stiffens the top on that side, biasing it towards treble response. Guitar bracing is not that extreme but the principle is the same.

hope that makes sense...