Difficult drummer rant

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Reascot, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Reascot

Reascot

Jun 19, 2017
    I need to rant about my now ex drummer.

I was in a three piece band and things were going okay. We were playing original music and playing regular shows. But the drummer was a weak link. His personality was brash and his timing was terrible. There was a negative energy round the practices and shows. I tried to ignore it and make the best of things but it got worse over time. He started arguing about small things at practice.

I wrote the songs and would send rough drafts of them to the rest of the band. The drummer would demand to be sent completed versions but I explained that sometimes we would need to add an extra bar after a chorus depending on how the vocal melody worked with the rest of the song. My point was that we needed to be flexible but he refused. He demanded the songs be finished before we met and would refuse to add an extra bar at practice even if it made the song sound better. He also argued over changing some parts of songs to make them sound better. He refused to even try. Keep in mind these are original songs.

In the end, he had to go. It wasn't worth the hassle. But the kicker is that the bassist and him are friends from way back, so the bassist left too. The bassist says he might be up for rejoining in a couple of months, once things have cooled down. So I'm going to go back to jamming with my old drummer buddy. Unfortunately bassists are hard to find around these parts so we may have to try the two piece route.

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space

so the problem is already fixed :D

oh noooooo!!!!! :banghead:

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:?????

just fire everybody!!!!! Start with the keyboarder? Or the guitarplayer!

Wise(b)ass

saabfender likes this.
  3. Reascot

Reascot

Jun 19, 2017
    I am the guitar player, so I guess I kind of did fire the guitar player. Lol!

Wisebass likes this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    So where are you? You are in a forum with thousands of people who call themselves bassists. Maybe we can remedy that.

As to your band mates, they put their friendship of head of the music. In the long run you are better off.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  5. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Wow, I find that in a trio you can and have to be super flexible. Our guitarist sings and plays lead. It recently dawned on me that he sometimes had difficulty coming out of a solo and hitting the lyrics in the next chorus on time. I suggested that if he needed a second then he could just signal (back off the mic, etc) us and depending on the song we would either just hang on the next chord (say Emaj) for 1-4 bars or if the song had a simple chord structure we could run through the verse changes (I, V, IV, etc) one time until he was ready. Harder to do if you go into a chorus after a lead. This has made a huge difference in how tight we are. You would think the opposite but no one is going to notice this except us (even other musicians). We only need to do it a few times a night but it makes him play much more naturally and relaxed. And makes us all pay more attention to each other. Now with a larger group this is more difficult but the beauty of the three piece is you have a ton of freedom.

Bassngtr and zoonose like this.
  6. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    if-you-could-go-ahead-and-just-fire-everybody-that-would-be-great.jpg

7. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

The rest of the band left you. Just maybe you were the problem?

Just because a drummer is 'difficult' doesn't mean he's wrong.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  8. In context, though, OP says the drummer has "terrible" timing- itself an issue in pretty much any band. The inflexibility in an originals band makes me wonder why he(drummer) was there in the first place.
    Alternately, we're hearing OP's perceptions of the situation, and they aren't sharing all the pertinent info. :shrug:

9. Reascot

Reascot

Jun 19, 2017
    Zoonose and Oldrocker - you could be right. Maybe I'm in the wrong. I tend to think of it now as different ways of working. Jthisdell gave the perfect example of why being flexible is so important in a three piece when playing originals. My compromise was that while during practice we could be flexible and see what works best, but before shows we would have decided on the final structure of the song. But being told I couldn't change the structure to my own songs struck me as being unreasonable.

Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter that much. It's all over now, baby blue.

Buldog - I'm in Seoul, South Korea. If there are any bassists from that area on the board, I'd love to hear from them.

zoonose likes this.
  10. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

There is a limit to flexibility. Perhaps he was tired of being a backing track for you endless changes. IMO, Unless you're the Grateful Dead structure should be decided well before show.

11. BigBasserino

BigBasserino

Apr 30, 2017
    Package deal isn't worth it. Mediocre drummer will pick up bass, think he's an expert, talk a lot of trash, steal shows, before you know it they'll hate each other.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021