Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difficulty finding middle-end basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BehindTheMoon, Oct 11, 2002.

1. I am in Perth, Australia, and there is almost total vaccum when it comes to middle-end fretless basses.

One fretless StingRay in an awful colour is the sum limit of what I have been able to lay hands on. A lovely playing instrument, but definitely not the sound I want.

What other possibilities are there? Sale and return from say, Fender Australia is a good compromise, but that's no guarantee of getting a decent bass with the right fingerboard, colour and linedness that I'd like from the bass.

Is shipping from the land of milk and honey where basses are cheap (America) a viable option? Too risky? Buy a fretted and pay a tech to defretlerise it?

I can't wait to play seriously out of tune. :)

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Some decent mid-priced fretless instruments:

Warwick Corvette

Pedulla Raptures and Thunderbolt

Modulus Genesis

Fender (production series) Jaco

Washburn XB9xx

MTD Kingston

G&L JB2

Ibanez Gary Willis GWB-5

Don't you guys get all the good stuff out of Japan?

3. Nope. :)

Those basses are all in the kind of league I'm looking at here, but the question is how to get one with the right specs into my hands without actually buying it.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    don't know if it can help, but when i bought my GL L2000 i was really helped by their website www.glguitars.com

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanx for the link!

maybe it's time to change my signature!??!:D

i used that just because i liked without getting really informed if it was true or not. i like the analogy that the singature has with some of the aspects of american life style which are "ovesized" to my eyes of small Euroboy...;)