Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Diffs of Yamaha BB-EAST vs BB-N5a

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jkoc, Jul 30, 2002.

1. jkoc

jkoc

Jul 23, 2002
    Whats the diff between a
    Yamaha NATHAN EAST 5 STRING (BB-EAST)
    vs.
    Yamaha BB-N5A

Besides aesthetics (paint), are the pickups any different? both have active pickups as far as i know. The hardware looks exactly the same (Gold trim, same machine heads. etc..)

I think both are alder body, maple top .. ...

thanks

2. Stung

Stung

Apr 24, 2006
    The specs are almost identical, the only differences being the Ebony fretboard on the NE, the Nathan East signature on the headstock and the US$1000+ on the price. They are pretty much identical. I have owned a BB-N5A for 4 years, play it daily, it plays and sounds beautiful, the neck is great and it is extremely well built. Well worth the money.:bassist:

3. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    I think the BB-EAST has a special flamed maple top with an indent for slapping and is made in Japan, whereas the BBN5A, at least the one I owned was made in Taiwan and did not sport the fancy top.

4. Exactly! My BBN5A is made in Japan and it has a nice flame maple top... even nicer that some of the signatures I have seen. I put a Aguilar OBP-3 and Bartolini dual coils in mine to give it some new life. I'm hardly playing my Lakland now...

LR

5. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    Was the BBN5A a popular bass when it first came out? If I'm not wrong, it was meant to replace the BB5000A (essentially the BB5000 series)

To my knowledge, this was not so and I believe this is one of the more overlooked production basses ever produced.

6. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
    Is this the East Model you are speaking of? If so, the eBony fingerboard is the main difference. As you can tell, my model does not have a flamed maple top. A friend on mine has the older East model, and he claims that mine is head an shoulders above his as far as playability and tone.