1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dig my Burns Marquee

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    This was the subject of some small discussion a while back- just thought I'd post a pic of 'er:

Marquee.

No longer made- I think the quality control went lax on it. But it's a fun bass, and I think it's pretty cool looking. Some of the old British Invasion bands played 'em.

2. Cactusgrant

Cactusgrant

Jul 27, 2006
    That does look pretty cool, how does it sound? I love all the Burns
    stuff, they all have the "british invasion" retro vibe, plus the ones I've heard sound pretty good

3. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I'm getting used to it. My 'first' bass is a Schecter Stiletto Elite-4, with some mods. But I've been breaking this one out a little more and don't really know it yet.

The controls are more complex, and sometimes appear to do less. But I hit a note with some whack the other night at a rehearsal and it was a big 2x4 to the side of my head! So I need to get a hold of balance and tone between p'ups I guess (and my fingers:eyebrow: !).

But it's got some hot, punchy/grindy tones in it. You can get the edgy, throaty stuff or some very stout dub-tones. It's a 32" scale, so it tends to be a bit "murkier" than a Fender scale bass. And it's a bolt-on, so there are physical properties going on with those two things.

It's pretty fun to play though. And I get more comments when I play the Burns than when I play the Schecter. Just goes to show you where the audience is mostly at...