Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dig the Big Pig's Jig Rig

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hambone, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Here's pics of my neck jig system in it's current state. This is the natural progression from the wood jig I show pics of in the other thread about neck tapering jigs. So, onto pic 1...

[​IMG]

1. jig tray and clamping extrusion
    2. clamps
    3. various spacers for under the blank
    4. rails for freboard radius apparatus
    5. fretslot cutting system
    6. bearing guided router carriage
    7. router carriage (2) for the fretboard radiusing system
    8. adjustable radius sanding block

2. This is the basic setup for doing TR channels, skunk stripe slots, and the sides of the neck. The blank is clamped in place and the router rides on a bearing guided carriage for ease of motion.

[​IMG]

Here's the underside of the carriage showing the 3 tracking bearings on each side:

[​IMG]

3. Here's how I adapted JP's radiusing apparatus to my system. It works OK but I'm going to do some mods to make it better like switch to an all bearing guided system instead of letting the carriage rock on the rails. But it's substantial and does the job...

[​IMG]

4. This is a StewMac fretslot cuttin system that's been attached to my jig via other extrusions that are part of the same system. They work together to allow for the parts to got together like you see here. The mitre box was attached to one of the channel extrusions and then inserted into the jig. I'm going to expand on this and make it longer for my next version. I'm also attempting to make a setup jig like the StewMac version and mount it on a piece like this mitre box so that I can do neck setups on the same system like all of the other processes.

[​IMG]

5. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    You should sell a kit, complete with instructions, etc. because I would definitely buy one. :smug:

6. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Awesome!...and tell us again why you can't get a decent neck out of this rig? Looks like the necks could build themselves. :)

7. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Holy Smokes! :eek:

8. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
  9. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Wow, that's an impressive piece of kit, Hambone.

10. Did you build this yourself? It looks prefab. If it's all you, that's damn impressive. (Not that I wasn't already impressed by your work.)

11. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN

I was just thinking the same thing, you should really sell some of this stuff.

12. I built this from scrap and backyard engineering. One thing led to another and that led to this. It's not machine shop quality nor precision and it could be better than it is. It's a tinkerer's contraption. But that makes it neat in that I can add to it easily. I've got a couple of things planned. But to do them, I might start from scratch and make a better, more precise version - and something longer. This one is 36" and will do my bolt-on with blank overhang.

13. You can't live in GA without knowing about the "jig". I've got friends that compete every year.

14. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Hambone's Da MAN!!!! I'm mainly posting here so it goes in my subscriptions so when I have some $$$ I can find it easily and copy it like a college kid with broadband for the first time.

Thanks again as always Hambone.

15. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Looks kinda like your old jig, but made of metal (aluminum?). I shall begin replication immediately! ;)

16. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Ditto that... :meh:

17. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Wow Hambone, if there was a "Most Important Contributer" award on TB, I'd nominate you for it :D Thanks for selflessly sharing all this stuff that you've put in good effort and time into :hyper:

18. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Mr. 'Bone been to the jig twice lots of good smells. Never have been there to eat anything :bawl:

19. You are surely a man of great strength and fortitude. Stronger than I am! :D

What were you there for then? Firefighting?

20. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    They weren't handing out food!#$# :crying: :spit: It was torture! I guess they hadn't done the judging yet.t